As I was re-reading the archives searching for something else, I happened
to re-read John Hausseler's posting on the Ferraros and Kariya and also
I read Shawn Walsh's response chastising John having "believed some
writer verbatim -especially a writer that doesn't know a hoot about
college hockey."

Coach Walsh goes on to warn John and Tony about interjecting
opinionated statements but Walsh himself ought to be careful
about attribution. I see this happen every so often; Coach Walsh
is hardly the only person to have done this. But part of his
posting focused a great deal, not only on refuting the report
that he guaranteed a national title, but also focused on slapping
John on the wrist for believing this writer.

I re-read John's posting and his comment about Kariya and the
Ferraros was taken from a report in the _Hockey News_. Let me
re-state that, the HOCKEY News. First off, it was public information
and John was simply re-stating that. The opinions contained in that
article were not necesarily John's, only those of the THN writer.
Second off, the magazine was the HOCKEY News. I'm assuming the
writer for the HOCKEY News knows something about hockey and that
THN would assign to college hockey someone who knows something
about college hockey. Third off, I don't think the writer suggested
that you guaranteed a national champsionship, just that he believed
that Maine would have a better chance of winning one with the
Ferraros and Kariya. That's all.

I think people ought to be more careful. Sometimes, we re-post
stuff here from other sources. I've always seen people quote
the periodical from which they obtained that article. If someone
posts that article and nothing else, comments should be directed
at the article and the author and NOT at the poster. In other words,
don't shoot the messenger.

Please be very careful about this sort of thing.