1.  Please use a meaningful, descriptive, and brief
subject header!  Most people are very good about
this, but some are ambiguous.  Believe me --
when culling 200 Monday messages, ambiguous
ones are deleted without hesitation.

2.  There has been much complaining about ECAC
officiating, especially in regards to the Brown -
Union game.  OK, I didn't see that game, so I
cannot comment on it.  However, I have been
watching the officiating in the ECAC for 13 years,
and in my opinion it has improved overall.  The
two ref system (which I initially hated) has
significantly reduced the number of blown
calls, and the "wave off" which some of the refs
have been using to designate "yes I saw it and it's
clean" also boosts your confidence that they are at
least in the same rink as the players.  Overall, all
we can ask is that the players are comfortable
enough with the officials not to take the law into
their own hands (actually, this is all we can ask of
any law enforcement, but I digress...).  I think the
ECAC crews, overall, do this adequately.

3.  You're never as bad as you look when you lose,
and you're never as good as you look when you
win.  Trust me -- Cornell isn't going to score 8
goals in another game this year; they were aided
and abetted by a weak team having a *very* bad
night.  So I don't read anything into this
weekend's games; it will be wonderful if the Red
can hold their chromatic-twins close in Troy, and
the Union game is going to be a knock down, drag
out (though hopefully not literally).  I still
maintain that there's nothing to choose between
the top four ECAC teams, so I don't particularly
care who Cornell plays if they survive the
Preliminary Round.  It would be most
convenient personally if they came to Bright, and
the freshmen might benefit from learning that
they actually *can* score at Harvard!

Barring a miracle, Cornell's season ends a week
from Saturday; barring TWO, it ends a week
from Sunday.  Let's just enjoy the seniors' last
hurrahs (Bumstead's just 8 points shy of 40...)

Greg
Cambridge
Let's Go (Big) Red!