In article <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Zive <[log in to unmask]>
says:

>Anyways, I think unclassiness (is that a word) only happens
>in the heat of the moment.  For instance, I took a picture
>of Blair Allison when he was on the ice injured.  There is
>no way that I would ever do such a thing under normal cir-
>cumstances.

The fanatic insanity defense! What would "normal" circumstances
be?

>Isn't
>the point of going to a sporting event or concert to let
>go of the tensions  you have in your daily life.  You just
>want to have fun and do what is funny and relaxing.  We're
>all probably guilty of being unclassy at a hockey game one
>time or another.

Yes, the point of going to a sporting event is to relax and
be entertained. However, that means supporting your team,
not downing the opponent. Stand up and cheer when a goal is
scored, cheer when a player makes a great play. But is it
really necessary to hurl insults at officials and opposing
players? Giving a count to a player when he's injured is
not funny in most people's books. For some reason, people
seem to think civility can be left at the entrance to sport-
ing events. Fans who would not dare approach a fan of the
opposing team outside and offer some slurs think it's okay
inside. The same goes for players, who think it's okay to
slug others at will during a contest when otherwise they
wouldn't. There used to be a concept called sportsmanship.
I think some people should look into it.

Ryan Robbins
Stodder Hall
University of Maine