> Yes, the Gophers defeated the Badgers in Madison this evening 3-2. There was a
> big controversy over the Badgers first goal which was THROWN in. The TV
 replays
>  show it *very* clearly.

It was obvious to me, and everyone around me, that it was thrown
in. And we sit about 1/2 way up, near the center line. Shep was a
little behind the play, and on the other side from where we sit,
so he was probably screened by the players. He said afterwards
that he thought it had hit the Gophers' goalie and gone in.

> There was also a problem getting the second referee
> into Madison due to the weather, so Greg "I always work the Gophers-Badgers
> games" Shepherd was the lone ref working with two linesman. Hopefully, they
> can get a second ref in there for the rematch tomorrow night!

Shep did an ok job as far as being consistant in what he called,
but the linesmen (1 in particular) really were inconsistant on
offsides -- both ways.

>                                                                The Gophers
> looked great, and after a first period of chippy play on both sides, they all
> settled down and played some exciting hockey.

Wisconsin came out slow -- not exactly flat, but tenative and not
hustling. Sauer was very upset with his team. In the paper he was
quoting as saying (paraphrasing here, I don't have the paper)
that he doesn't understand what the problem is. "They're wearing
Maroon and have a Big M on their front. What more do you need?"
to get motivated.

Also, on the Badgers' penalties: "Everyone in the building knows
they were dumb penalties, dammit" (paraphrased again).

The badgers did play well most of the third period, putting a lot
of pressure on the Gophers, but not getting the puck in the net,
and taking a dumb penalty to kill off their chances at the end.

        --david