Ryan Robbins writes:
> Patrice Tardif, a senior forward for the Black Bears ice hockey team,
> is no longer eligible. Chances are the Black Bears will have to
> forfeit all games Tardif played in while ineligible.
>
> Because of the violations, which university officials will report
> to the NCAA, Woody Carville, Maine's compliance officer, has been
> fired and will be considered for a reassignment. Carville will be
> replaced on an interim basis by Robert E. Whelan, who is currently
> UMaine President Frederick Hutchinson's executive assistant. A
> nation-wide search for a permanent replacement will be conducted
> shortly.

Based on Mr. Carville's performance, a suitable reassignment may be as a
WWF referee.  He may well be a great person, a wonderful family man, and all
that, but the level of incompetence shown has been absolutely mind-boggling.
How can you hold a position like that and screw up something that seems so
basic?

It makes me truly angry that Tardif now must turn pro and we don't get the
pleasure of seeing him play the rest of the year, that this would seemingly
dampen whatever chances existed of Kariya and the Ferraros returning (Is the
NC$$ going to extend an invite to a team officially something like 2-32?  I
don't think so.), and helped ruin the final year for players like Cal Ingraham.
Maine players and fans, both among the best in the nation, did not deserve this
adminsitrative performance that certainly appears to be among the worst in the
nation.

There are only two potential upsides to this situation that I can see:

1. Maine will hire a permanent person to this post who gets-the-job-done and
makes sure that this baloney never happens again.

2. It may render moot all the controversy about Providence getting 6 freebie
points and distorting the standings in HE.

Call me disgusted...

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!     Go LA Kings! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*