I must agree with Coach Walsh on this.  Having seen games when the old
rule operated (which allowed these situations on most coincidental minors)
and games after the change, I think the former situation leads to a much more
exciting game.  Ironically, the supposedly stodgy NHL went the opposite way
when college hockey stopped taking men off the ice on coincidental penalties.
I think this will allow teams to show their skills as well as stressing good
fundamentals.  As for a shootout, I'm less sure, but I must admit that it
certainly adds much more excitement to games.  (See the IHL, or the Can-Ger
shootout in Albertville, for examples.)  This might even help fill rinks at
some of the schools which don't sell out now.  It may be worth doing on a
trial basis.  Perhaps a tournament or two during the season (GLI, etc.) could
try it and see how it works out.
    I don't want to start an argument, but I'll defend John by saying that I
think he posted the excerpt from the Fischler column (which I saw in THN)
merely to inform those who don't get the Hockey News what Fischler said, with-
out the intent to agree or disagree with Fischler's statement.  Maybe I'm
mistaken in this impression, and if I am, I apologize.  [See, Spartan fans can
stick up for Wolverine fans on occasion!]
    Thanks, Coach, for your input.

--Chris Paine
MSU '90, '93, UK '96?

P. S.  Nice to see that honesty and integrity can be rewarded, as it was in
Knoxville last night.