Ryan Stone writes:
>The RPI Men's team beat Princeton 4-3 tonight, which according to the local
>media here makes them unbeaten in the last 15 games...

Last 5, not 15...RPI lost to SLU 6-5 in OT on 2/4/94.

In HE, Ryan Robbins posted the Maine-BU score (0-0) and noted that UNH
defeated BC, 3-2.  Also, Northeastern defeated Merrimack, 3-2, and
Mass Lowell led Providence 5-3 late (don't know the final).

That would put UML in first place by a point, although BU has 3 games
in hand.

As far as I can tell, history was made tonight - I believe Maine-BU was
the first scoreless tie in HE's 10 year history.  I always feel bad for
the goaltenders when that happens.  A perfect night, yet you don't get
the win.

On Union's torrid play of late: has anyone told the Dutchmen that if
they keep winning and move up to 6th or 5th, they don't get to host a
playoff game? :-)  With 4 games left, Union can clinch a playoff spot
with just two more points; who would have thought it?

While on the subject, I still think it is odd that you get to host an
ECAC playoff game if you finish 7th or 8th, but not 5th or 6th.  They
could follow the lead of the CCHA and allow all 12 teams in, but then
give a preliminary round bye to the top 4 and have the middle 4 host
the bottom 4.  Currently the ECAC is the only DivI conference where
everybody doesn't make the tourney.

It will be interesting to see what HE does with 9 teams next season.
The best possibilities seem to be having only the top 8 teams qualify,
or else having a preliminary round with #8 hosting #9 and the winner
playing at #1, so everybody still gets in.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<< Color Voice of the (14-15-2) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>