On Thu, 10 Feb 1994, Bri Farenell wrote:

> First off, what's 'offensive'? Why is Chiefs offensive, or Warriors?
> Redskins, perhaps I can understand but why Chiefs or Warriors?
>
> Second off, I think it's pretty lame. A newspaper is in the business of
> REPORTING news. This is an example of them making news. I fail to see any
> editorial justification for this. As politically incorrect as it may be,
> the nickname of the University of North Dakota is indeed the Fighting
> Sioux. Whether the S-T likes it or not, that is the case. They can
> criticize it in their editorials, if they wish. They can urge such
> schools to change their names. But they have an obligation to report
> the facts, in their news stories. To do otherwise is journalistically
> dubious.
>
> The S-T is taking an editorial stand based on politics rather than
> sound journalisitc ethical practice. A paper has to report a lot
> of things that it probably doesn't like. Is it going to stop reporting
> murders or rapes because that offends them too?

        Thank heaven my newspaper hasn't gone this route, though I fear
some of the "PC" types might want us to. This is, I think, the second
newspaper I've seen that's taken this position. If I'm not mistaken, the
other is the Portland Oregonian.

        We've had a couple of informal discussions in our office about
this since we cover the Washington Redskins very heavily and our primary
Divisiion I college is William and Mary, which is called the Tribe.

        Frankly, I'd kinda find it stupid not to refer to the Redskins as
the Redskins. Hell, that's what everybody knows them as and if we or
another paper doesn't use that nickname, it isn't going to change the
public's perception.

        There is always the notion, too, that this policy isn't one that
originates in Sports, but from higher-ups. I say that without knowing in
either circumstance.

|                   Lynn Burke    Newport News, Va.                     |
|      [log in to unmask] -- mail still shows [log in to unmask]     |