Associate Professor of Biochemistry
Phone: (502)852-5752; Fax: (502)852-6222

Mike's comments and lack of sympathy for a possible basketball boycott by
black coaches because of a failure of the NC$$ to restore the 14th scholarship
are probably shared by many Hockey-Lers. However, there are always different
perspectives and curiously this whole fiasco may end up helping Div I hockey
secede from the NC$$.

From the heart of basketball land, Louisville and Kentucky, with non-minority
head coaches, athletic directors and presidents voted for the 14th for many
reasons including the fact that each program generates several million
dollars/yr in profits for all athletic programs and it affords an extra 300
chances for minority athletes to get a college education not otherwise
possible. I should add, that UofL is only using 10 of their 13 this yr so
having 14 does not mean you automatically use them all each yr. The 100 top
programs also feel that it is not appropriate for the other 200 Div I
basketball programs to be able to outvote them with the implication that more
of those kids who don't go to the top100 will now be available to them. Many
financial facts also enter in including the fact that basketball generates 85%
of NC$$ operating money (primarily the top 64 in the NC$$ tournament).
Additionally, basketball is not happy with football having 66 scholarships and
only being forced to limit their preseason squad size to 105! The idiocy with
voting down the proposition to prevent HOME football teams from staying at a
local hotel before HOME games only further alienated black coaches. So, it's
not just a matter of one extra scholarship, we're into principles and there
probably will be boycotts and various delaying tactics to embarrass and
inconvenience the NC$$.

OK, the end result over the next couple of years will be the establishment of
a separate top level basketball association similar to the CFA in football and
probably increased control and revenue for the association. Louisville and
Kentucky are already strongly supporting this approach. Once football and
basketball have separate associations, it is quite likely that Div I hockey
will follow suit to have a better and greater revenue producing tournament
which does not compete with the basketball tourney. We can only hope that
there really will be a rainbow at the end of current NC$$ foolishness!

Subliminal message: U of L needs an ice skating rink for its
future hockey team more than it needs a new football stadium.