On Thu, 13 Jan 1994, Pamela Sweeney wrote:

> Ferris State University defenseman John Gruden, of Hastings, scored four goals
> during a 10-6 victory at Notre Dame on Tuesday.  The four goals tied the NCAA
> record for goals in a game by a defenseman, set by Western Michigan's Wayne
> Gagne in 1985.  Gruden also tied school records for goals in a game, points in a
> game (seven) and points in a period (five).
>
> Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
> [log in to unmask]         1993 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
> [log in to unmask]              Ski-U-Mah!!!

I was at the game that Gagne scored the four goals and he actually scored
a fifth. This one was banked off his own goalie and in. Kevin McCaffery
was playing in goal that night and stop a clearing pass and left it behind
the ney for Wayne. He tried to fire a quick clearing pass but hit Kevin in
the back because he didn't get around the net quick enough and into the
net.  Also in that game Gagne lost several teeth when a teamate accidently
hit him in the mouth with a stick.

David