>>>Proposal 42
>>>Allows men's basketball to offer 14 scholarships, restoring one of the two
>>>scholarships that were taken away by the NCAA Presidents Commission.
> [When
>>>was the last time you saw a team use 14 players in a basketball game?  If
>>>these proportions were transferred to hockey, we would have 30
>scholarships
>>>and 5 assistant coaches.  Give me a break.]
>>
>>I don't see what's wrong with it. Allowing 14 scholarships lets a team have
>>freshmen on its roster who can't contribute right away, but have potential,
>>and bring them along. This lets a team be better able to refresh its
>roster,
>>since there is complete turnover every four or five years.
>
>These kids can be on the roster, but do they need scholarships?  Football
>and basketball have the luxury of these 'development programs', whereas
>hockey isn't given enough scholarships to field a team for 1 game.

[wiping egg off face]
O.K. This I didn't realize. To my way of thinking, hockey should have a
limit of 24 scholarships, for the same reason I said above. Of course it is
unfair to give one sport that luxury, but not another, especially since the
sport that is screwed is in many cases a revenue sport.

>[...]
>One look around Michigan will also
>tell you that football players are pampered beyond belief.

Can't say I'm surprised.

>Frankly, it's just annoying.  I like Michigan football just as much as the
>next guy (at least, the next guy in Ann Arbor :-), but the facilities are a
>little outlandish.  I think the reason that so few Wolverine football
>players turn pro early is that they don't want to downgrade.  :-)

In terms of liking UM football, I'll assume that I'm not the next guy. :-)
Don't forget, they have to train hard, so they can get back and lose
in the Rose Bowl again!!!

I'm actually surprised that they're not cutting back football more, what
with Title IX and all. Since football takes up lots of spaces, and is a
men-only sport, it would seem to be ripe for the picking.

John

(who should have remembered the bit about keeping one's mouth shut and being
thought a fool...)

--
John C.K. Edwards         Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr. Senators (CJHL, Jr. A)
Poli Sci/Law III      GO CATS GO!!! (10-27-1)  TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!!! (6-10)