Steve Phillips writes...
>As much as I enjoyed Michigan's first-ever season sweep of LSSU, I hardly
>think that "inferior" or "over-rated" are quite the right words.  Granted,
>the fans had a little fun with their team and supporters with the
over-rated
>stuff, but I think that this LSSU team is going to do some damage before
>it's all said and done.  Back in '88-'89 when I was a freshman at U-M, I
>never thought I'd see the day when Michigan would be able to beat LSSU at
>Yost, let alone sweep them.  I believe that up until two years ago, LSSU
>had a 14 or 15 game unbeaten streak going at Yost.  (John H.?)

I don't have the actual numbers at hand, but Steve has the story correct.
 When LSSU ventured into Yost during the 1991-92 season (a 4-3, 1-0 sweep
for UM), BOTH teams were riding double-digit unbeaten streaks at Yost.
 Think about it.  :-)

I remember posting something to Hockey-L at that time.  Michigan coach Red
Berenson said something to the effect of, "I can't remember that last time
we beat Lake State here."  If I remember correctly, the Wolverines had NEVER
beaten LSSU in Ann Arbor under Berenson until that weekend.  If they had, it
must have been in Red's first or second season, long before any of the
current players had been around.

However, *since* that time, Michigan is 5-0-0 versus Lake State at Yost and
2-1-0 in Sault Ste Marie.  (And, 0-2-0 at JLA in the CCHA finals, but we
don't need to mention that, do we? :-)

  John H
  U Mich