Well, the 43rd Annual RPI Invitational is over and here are a few notes.

The first night was absolutely boring beyond all belief.

Army v. Lowell
Army looked liked they were getting the upper hand on Lowell throughout
most of the first period and well into the second. Army surprised me with
their excellent penalty kill throughout the first 22 minutes or so.
Army's first goal came on a shorthanded sitaution that Roloson just let
behind him.  Lowell then scored 2 goals within 25 seconds of each other,
and it was over.

An interesting note. Never would you have seen an Army team of 5-10
years ago take so manypenalties.

Lowell looked really sluggish going into the first game, and could not seem
to get their skating legs until midway through the second. Even then,
they seemed very slow to respond.

Final:  Lowell 6 Army 2

RPI v. Mt. Allison

Just not fair. Call it what you will (cheap, insulting, boring, mismatch,
not real hockey, etc.), but this game will not be remembered by many people
as a hockey game. Less than 2 minutes into the game the score was 2-0 for
RPI, and Wayne Clarke had a hat trick by the end of the 1st period.
Mt. Allison would not have even scored had it not been for a bad clearing
attempot by Neil Little right onto a Mountie stick.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Mt. Allision is a notworthy team,
but come on. I am sure there are better teams out there than Mt. Allision.

Lucky me, I get to call play-by-play in a blowout.

Final: RPI 12 Mt. Allision 1

I was looking forward to the second night and better games.

Army v. Mt. Allision

The first ever meeting between the two clubs. I expected a tough, physical
game, with big hits and low scores. I was right. Mt. Allision showed that
they were capable of playing with some Div I boys as theyplayed stride for
stride with the Black Knights.  Mt. Allision scored first, midway through
the 2nd peiod, but Army tied it right up.  Going into the third,
Army took the 2-1 lead, but Mt. Allision with grit came back and tied it
at 2.  With less than 2 minutes to play, a breakdown of the Mountie
defense allowed Anthony DiCarlo to score and make it a final of 3-2.

Final: Army 3 Mt. Allision 2

Lowell v. RPI

This was supposed to be a great game, and as people have said, since
RPI is not favored to win this game, they should wind up winning it.
Lowell still seemed sluggish as Rpi seemed to skate circles around
Lowell forwards and defenders. In a game wherer a lot of goals were scored,
it wound up being a penalty fest, where at one point in the second period,
there were 8 men in the box for each team. Scrappiness, sticks and fists
were used as Lowell became frustrated and started hitting harder and after
the whistle, and RPI respponded.

Roloson looked shaky, and did not have a good game at all.  The 2 top lines
of the Chiefs were pretty much shutdown offensively. Bullock did not have
a good game at all.

Final: RPI 11 Lowell 3

Notes ojn the tournament and games:

1) RPI looked sharp against both team they played. It was uncertain how
RPI would react to such an easy game againt MtA the next evening. 2 of the
Engineer lines were benched for the entire 3rd period against MtA.

2) Lowell is a team very like the Engineers. They are small and quick up front
and have a small but dependable defense, and a good goalie.

3) Why the scrappiness of the championship game? My opinion:
As soon as Lowell got down, they went to the scouting reports and thought
that physical play and clogging up zones would work for them and get them
back on track. Did not work because I think Lowell is a finesse team, not
a team that can wear you down. Perhaps therein lies their weakness.

4) Bullock had off nights, but the one thing I noticced about him, his
skating style. How does he generate the speed he does when his left skate
seems to drag at a 90 degree angle to his direction?

5) Some Engineers got off of scoring slumps, most notably Jeff Gabriel,
and Eric Perardi.

6) Congrats to Chris Maye. His first shift of the evening results in
his first career goal.

7) Here's something interesting. Shane Henry of Lowell got called for a
penalty while he was sitting in the penalty box watching the game. Henry
was off for a minor, when a sccuffle broke out on the ice. The refs sent
everyone to the box (hence the 8 men in the box apiece). Henry apparently
got a call for hitting after the whistle. Someone on Lowell got away with
something. See box later.

8) All-Tourney Team:
        F       Shane Henry     Lowell
        F       Tim Regan       RPI
        F       Jeff Brick      RPI
        D       Cam Cuthbert    RPI
        D       Adam Bartell    RPI
        G       Neil Little     RPI

        MVP     Eric Perardi    RPI

Sort of surprised Clarke didn't get in there with 4 goals and an assist the
previous night.

9) Perhaps this will put RPI on track for the second half. Off to Cornell
and Colgate this coming weekend. Stop on by and see me if you're around.

Boxes:
For Thursday only

Army v. Mt. Allison

Army            0       2       1       3
Mt. Allison     0       2       0       2

1st Period      No Scoring
        Penalties: Leard, MtA double-minor (rough) 6:37, Lambert, USMA (hold)
6:39, Meth, MtA (slash) 10:57, Eigner, USMA (hook) 13:16, Meth, MtA (hi-stick)
14:17, DiCarlo, USMA (hook) 17:15, DeMone, MtA (int)  18:09

2nd Period
        Scoring: USMA, Winer 5 (Dicarlo, Landers) 4:47, MtA DeMone 9
(McClellan) 5:29, USMA, DiCarlo 7 (Landers) 14:30 pp, MtA Clark 8 (Ruson,
George) 19:09

3rd Period
        Scoring: USMA, DiCarlo 8 (Hennesy, Landers) 19:08

Goalies: USMA, Bolio (17-19)
         MtA, Cavillin (16-18), Beals (9:55 of 2nd) ( 9-10)

PP: USMA 1-9, MtA 1-5

Lowell v. RPI

Lowell  0       2       1       3
RPI     3       4       4       11

1st Period:
        Scoring
                RPI     Perardi 1 (Pasco, Askew) 4:37
                RPI     Hamelin 6 (Clarke, Matthews) 9:41
                RPI     Brick   9 (Richardson, Regan) 16:12 pp
        Penalties
                Lowell  Brown   (slash) 4:44
                RPI     Bartell (slash) 4:44
                Lowell  Campbell (hi-stick) 10:44
                Lowell  Murray  (holding stick) 12:48
                RPI     Bartell (slash) 12:48
                        (A sidenote, how do you get called for slashing if
                         somone is holding your stick?)
                Lowelll Barrozino (x-check, trip) 13:53
                Lowell  Murray  (rough) 15:37
                Lowell  Campbell (rough) 15:37
                RPI     Pasco   (rough) 15:37
                RPI     Clarke  (rough) 15:37
                RPI     Perardi (ccahrging) 17:28
                RPI     Brick   (x-Check) 18:43

2nd Period:
        Scoring
                RPI     Regan 8 (Richardson, Askew) 2:33
                RPI     Maye 1  (Pasco, Askew) 6:04
                Lowell  Bullock 13 (unassissted) 7:45
                RPI     Majic 5 (Perardi) 8:10 sh
                Lowell  Murray 4 (Henry) 8:25 pp
                RPI     Brick 10 (Richardson, Regan) 18:32 pp
        Penalties
                Lowell  Henry   (rough) 0:39
                RPI     Layzell (rough) 0:39
                Lowell  Sbrocca (board) 1:09
                RPI     Matthews (x-check) 1:09
                Lowell  Barrozino (hi-stick) 2:13
                Lowell  Tucker minor-misconduct (hitting after whistle) 2:33
                RPI     Richardson minor-misconduct (hit after whistle) 2:33
                Lowell  Campbell (hit after whistle) 2:33
                        Donovan  (    "            ) 2:33
                        Murray          "            2:33
                        Henry           "            2:33
                RPI     Regan           "            2:33
                        Brick           "            2:33
                        Askew           "            2:33
                        Bartell         "            2:33
                Lowell  Angus   (rough) 4:29
                        Barrozino (rough) 4:29
                RPI     Clarke  (rough) 4:29
                        Hamelin (rough) 4:29
                Lowell  Sbrocca (rough) 7:45
                RPI     Pasco double minor (rough) 7:45
                Lowell  Angus (hi-stick) 10:16
                Lowell  Bench (too many men) 12:15
                Lowell  Campbell (rough) 14:13
                RPI     Gabriel (rough)  14:13
                Lowell  Bazin   (slash) 14:34
                RPI     Brick   (slash) 14:34
                Lowell  Sbrocca minor-misconduct (int) 18:06
                RPI     Clarke  (slash) 20:00

3rd Period
        Scoring
                RPI     Regan 9 (Brick, Cuthbert) 2:40
                Lowell  Brown 4 (Mahoney, Golden) 2:57
                RPI     Askew 7 (Pasco, Kiley) 9:10
                RPI     Perardi 2 (Gabriel, Matthews) 13:18
                RPI     Brick 11 (Regan) 15:33

        Penalties
                Lowell  Mahoney (slash) 5:08
                Lowell  Rucker major-game disqualification (fight) 12:22
                RPI     Rolanti major-game disqualification(fight) 12:22
                RPI     Pasco   minor-misconduct (hit after whistle) 12:22
                Lowell  Donovan (rough) 12:22
                Lowell  Mahoney (slash) 18:52

Shots on goal:  Lowell 9-9-13-31
                RPI    13-16-12-41

Goalies:        Lowell  Roloson 9-4-2 (22-29)
                        Lindsay (0-0) 6:04 of 2nd
                        Roloson 6:42 of 2nd
                        Lindsay 0:00 of 3rd
                RPI     Little  7-4-0 (26-29)
                        Carvel  (2-2) 14:37 of 3rd

PP:     Lowell  1-4
        RPI     4-11

Refs:   McDonough, Stweart
Linesman: Sericolo

Att:    4.036

*  Jayson Moy RPI '89 '93       * One of the Voices of Rensselaer Engineer    *
*  [log in to unmask]                 * Hockey, Baseball, Football, and Basketball  *
*  The "J Man"                  * on Crystal Clear FM Radio, 91.5FM WRPI, Troy*