[ Hmm, I had a response all set to go here, but I see Mike M. has said
  essentially the same thing.  Oh, well, here's a similar viewpoint: ]

Howard writes:

>When the BU players were leaving the ice Saturday night, Patrick asked of
>Jacques (and his rather large nose), "Are you going to build a ski lodge with
>that nose?"  Instead of taking the customary action and letting the comment of
>a young fan pass, Mr. Joubert found it necessary to slash Patrick in the
>shoulder and retreat to the locker room.

If this account is accurate, the BU administration and athletic department
should be informed, and they should take whatever action is appropriate
against Joubert (suspend him for a game or two, or something).  It is abso-
lutely inexcusable for a player to hit a fan like that.

BUT!  BUT!  BUT!

Situation:  You are out on the street somewhere, and you notice a good-sized
man with a good-sized nose and a good-sized stick in his hands.  You don't
know this man personally, so you have next to no knowledge about what kind
of person he is.  Do you walk up to this good-sized man and make a smart
crack about his good-sized nose?  Not if you have a lick of common sense,
you don't.

The point is, fans have to take some responsibility for their actions just
like athletes do.  Yes, Joubert should have ignored the taunt, and he is
clearly at fault in this whole situation -- but the provocation should not
have been there in the first place.  I realize the fan in question is only
eleven, but that's old enough to know the difference between right and
wrong.

Again, I am not in any way trying to defend Joubert's action, but all too
often, incidents like this occur because fans feel they have the right to do
and say whatever they like to players on the opposing team.  A dose of
politeness here and there wouldn't hurt.
--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and '94 (.5)            |  [log in to unmask]
LET'S GO RED!!
"Why is it whenever you break up with somebody, they always say, 'You'll
 never meet anyone else like me'?  I should hope not!  If I don't want to
 go out with YOU, why would I want to go out with someone JUST LIKE YOU?"
-- Larry Miller