Ugh.

Duluth scored with 3 seconds left in the 3rd to earn a 4-3 win Saturday
night.

It wasn't a really pretty game from start to finish, although the
Duluth fans must be happy.

Duluth did a very good job of shutting down the Badgers, something they
did not do on Friday night. However, they still left the backside open
a lot -- but Wisconsin hit the post, or missed the net, where last
night they put it away.  Duluth seemed to get the bounces, and
Wisconsin didn't. That happens.

The officiating was bad. I can't blame the loss on the officials, but
it did affect the game and it was really frustrating to watch, and I'm
sure for the players as well. The refs (Ames and Brandt) were
consistant -- holding and interferance weren't called.  Unfortunatly
for the Badgers, this was perfect for the Bulldogs, as they did a lot
of holding, and blatant interference.  The refs also did a bad job of
keeping tempers under control, although no fights broke out.

The building was warm, and the game was slow. Wisconsin took what
seemed like 3 or 4 penalties in a row in the second period, which hurt
(I dont' have the paper and didn't take notes at the game -- sorry). In
the end Wisconsin was 1-6 on the power play, and Duluth 1-7 (or
something like that).

Duluth's second goal was short-handed. They iced the puck, Carey went
to the left corner to stop it, and no one from Wisconsin came back to
help. A Duluth player took the puck from Carey and calmly skated over
to the empty net and put it in. Ouch.

It was impossible for me to tell if the Badgers were suffering from
another night of not putting out 100%, or trying to play as individuals
instead of a team, or losing their focus (all of which they have done
this season), or if they just had difficulty with the type of game it
turned into and had the bad bounces. Duluth, on the other hand, clearly
played hard all night and did what they had to do.

        --david