Well, it took a lot of hard work, but we finally did it. We are
now at the bottom of the WCHA.  I have got to give an MTU perspective
to Brady Clark's UAA report of last night's game. But first some stats:

MTU 0 0 1 - 1
UAA 2 1 1 - 4

1st period:

UAA Fisk (Morris, Norcross) ppg 9:26
UAA Keene (? this what it sounded like) (Gore, Bethard) shg 15:00

Penalties:

UAA Valliere interference 3:21
MTU Mahachuk holding 7:31
UAA White Charging 13:59
UAA Markov holding 16:37
MTU K. Peterson high stick 16P:37
MTU Hill tripping 19:53

2nd Period

UAA Gore (White) 12:01

Penalties:

UAA Millimuck hooking 3:45
UAA Davis tripping 12:25
UAA Duchant roughing 13:03
MTU Stevens tripping 13:03
MTU P. Mikesch high stick 15:44
UAA Norcross roughing 15:44
MTU Ferguson hooking 16:42
MTU Mahachuk holding 19:47

3rd Period:

MTU Mahachuk (K. Peterson) 6:23
UAA Koen (White, Kowal) 5 on 3 ppg 10:47

Penalties (Bear with me, there are more than 30 and I lost track
of times as I had to go to another score sheet):

MTU P. Mikesch roughing
MTU Hill High sticking + roughing
MTU Perrault roughinh
UAA Duchant roughing
UAA White roughing
UAA Kowal slashing (all 6 penalties were concurrent)
UAA Smith tripping
UAA Bethard hooking
MTU Figliomeni roughing (?? little Figgie roughing?)
UAA Smith roughing (coincidental with above )
MTU P. Mikesch roughing
UAA Kowal roughing (coincidental with above)
MTU Ferguson roughing
MTU Peca roughing
UAA Duchant roughing (three concurrent penalties)
MTU Mahachuk roughing
UAA Gore roughing
UAA Davis tripping (Above three concurrent)
MTU K. Peterson interference 12:00
MTU Lane Histck
UAA Player unknown 10:47
MTU Caraveggio DQ'ed Assault and battery
UAA Norcross charging
UAA Wright roughing (above three concurrent)
MTU Player unknown - roughing
UAA Leggatt roughing
UAA Player unknown - roughing
MTU Player unknown - slashing
MTU Stevens - elbowing
MTU Stevens roughing
UAA Millimuck - tripping

(I hope I got them all)

Saves:

MTU Caraveggio 14 - 18 - 4 = 36
MTU Ram                  3 =  3
UAA Davis       8 -  2 -12 = 22

Power plays:

MTU 0 for 9
UAA 2 for 10

Comments:

The referees basically lost control of the game: At one point in
the third period, play had to be stopped to let all of the players
in the penalty boxes out (I assume there was no space for the
gate-keeper. Each side had six players in at the time.) Throughout
the game, the officiating was inconsistent. There would be blatant
slashes, high sticks and cross checks with no calls but seconds later,
a player would fall and tripping would be called. UAA kept charging
and crashing Caraveggio without the ref's (Buzzy {need I say more}
Christensen and Robin Anderson) calling penalties. In one case during
the first period, Caraveggio was slammed into the post by Kowal which
resulted in injuury as the post did not give. Incidently, the refs
never even checked the post afterwardfs to insure that it would break
away. Because of the blatant charging no calls, Caraveggio went
after Kowal in third period which resulted in his DQ. I probably
have seen games with more penalties but I don't remember when.

The game was ugly. UAA played better as evidenced from the early scores.
MTU never really got into the game. In fact, I would believe that they
were still on the buses except for the penalty roll call of the team.
Caraveggio's goal tending prevented a blow out. The best MTU could muster
in the 2nd period was 2 shots on goal.During the third period, it appeared
that MTU might come come back about six mutes into the period. However,
from a powerpaly opportunity, MTU went down one man and then after the
initial UAA penalty was overf down 2 men.

The game as might be expected from all the stoppages ended late (2:30 AM
my time.) I don't know if reporting stars is appropriate but here they
are:

3rd Star: MTU Martin Mahachuk (token star in my oppinion)
2nd Star: UAA Cotton Gore
1st Star: UAA Mitch Koen

Superior Player (awarded only to MTU's best player) Martin Mahachuk

I can't be happy as a fan with this game or MTU's play. One can blame
the reffing: it was bad. But despite all of MTU's talents, they have
not come together as a team. It is true that Freshmen and Sophomores
dominate and need development time; however, it is clear that MTU is
not ready to play hockey when they step out on the to ice. From
previous games as well as this one, MTU's momentarily brilliant play
is characterized by a lack of 60 minute malaise. THis is very negative
but I am calling it the way I see it. MTU deserves the last line of
the WCHA. There are some players working but it seems that more are on
the ice looking for the opponent to do their work for them.

This is a bad way to go into our Winter Carnival against Colorado College.
CC took a pounding from NMU last night (I listened to the first two
periods.) CC has a fine team and will give MTU  problems if MTU doesn't
arrive to play.

Walt Olson
MTU