21 January 1994, Yost Ice Arena, Ann Arbor MI
Michigan State 6 MICHIGAN 3

[UNOFFICIAL SUMMARY]
MSU       1  2  3 -- 6         7   6   7 -- 20
UM        1  2  0 -- 3         8   7  14 -- 29

 7:20 S Murray 9 (Suk,Guolla) ppg
10:57 M Oliver 20 (Wiseman,Botterill) ppg
21:45 S Harper 10 (Guolla,Carter)
26:55 S Guolla 14 (Smith,Carter)
31:45 M Halko 2 (Hilton,Legg) ppg
37:57 M Willis 6 (Legg)
40:20 S Harper 11 (Guolla,Suk) 5-on-3 ppg
50:39 S Tuzzolino 3 (Murray,Buzak)
58:03 S Murray 10 (Tuzzolino) eng

Goaltenders: MSU Buzak UM Shields

Attendance: 7492

Three Stars: 1 MSU Steve Guolla (1-3--4)
             2 MSU Kelly Harper (2-0--2)
             3 UM Warren Luhning

Comments:

  -  The team that played the best won.  Seems pretty simple,
     doesn't it?

  -  Is it just me, or did Buzak tighten his grip on an All-CCHA
     selection.  I hope everyone who thinks Steve Shields is a
     front-runner for the Hobey saw this game.  The loss wasn't
     Shields fault, the whole team didn't play well, but I'm still
     not convinced that Shields is the best goaltender in the CCHA
     *THIS SEASON*, let alone the nation.  Shields outdistanced
     everyone in the CCHA last season, but this year Shields,
     Buzak, Petrie (BGSU) and Lacher (LSSU) are bunched together
     with no clear cut leader.  At this moment, I'd have to give
     the nod to Buzak.

  -  Streaks that came to an end include: Michigan's CCHA winning
     streak (16), CCHA unbeaten streak (24), Yost Arena winning
     streak (17) and Yost Arena unbeaten streak (25).  The
     Wolverines had not lost in Ann Arbor since October 1992.

  -  Streaks that didn't end include David Oliver's point scoring
     streak (26) and Michigan's inability to showcase their talent
     on national television (as long as I can remember).

  -  Unofficially, I had MSU's Bryan Smolinski with five assists
     and an empty net goal.  I can't believe Smoke didn't get a
     star. :-)

  -  My All-CCHA line just went from Chris Brooks (WMU), Brian
     Wiseman and David Oliver to Steve Guolla, Wiseman and Oliver.
     Rem Murray and the always impressive Anson Carter have also
     turned up the juice in '94.

  -  It was good to see fellow Hockey-L'er Mike Collingridge (Ann
     Arbor) and meet MSU's Scott Bryan at the game.  Scott seemed
     a little more chipper than Mike and I following the game.  :-)
     Scott is also the first person I've ever seen actually wearing
     a Vancouver Canucks sweater.

  -  All in all, the loss doesn't hurt Michigan as much as the win
     will help MSU.  The Wolverines enter Saturday's game 21-2-1
     overall and 16-1-1 in the CCHA with an eight point lead over
     the second place Spartans.  Besides, no one can go undefeated,
     unless you wear red and have Brian Cropper in goal.  :-)

     C-YA!

  John H
  U Mich (21-2-1)