Since the subject of coaches has come up and also the
discussion regarding "number of coaching victories all time"
and its significance to -"WHAT'S A GOOD COACH" ????

Here's my 2 cents - IMHO:

Coaching victories is great but I think coaches should be recognized
for years of service in coaching - and not just as a head coach but
as simply a coach (serving as an asst coach can be the toughest
years in your service).  I saw the list of coaching victories
that was published and I wondered why all levels were'nt included -
and not just D-I people.  A coach should be recognized NOT just
for his/her wins but for all games they have served their school,
win , loss or tie.

So, instead of publishing and recognizing those coaches who
have won the most - here's a challange for you all -
who's coached the most years - include all the years
of asst. coaching, head coaching and all the schools they
worked at - not just one school.  There are a lot of coaches
who have served their school (and several schools) who
worked at D-II, D-III, club, even high school.

I think of people who I met in this profession some 19
years ago - Lefty Smith, Bill McCormick, Jim Ellingwood,
Greg Batt, etc.  Some of these coaches put in 25 -30
years of coaching and I measure their worth on their
longevity in a challanging profession with very few
jobs that pay a decent $$$$$$.

Coaching wins as a category is overrated.  Hell,
my toughest seasons were the ones that did'nt
have a lot of wins - but... I work harder those
years - it seems.  Just my opinion.

Brian Cavanaugh
Canisius College - 14th year
SUNY Brockport   -  2 years