Well, Keith has already posted the stats from last night's BG
victory over Miami. (Keith, I didn't see you at the game, were
you there?)

I thought I'd toss in a few observations, having attended the
game.

It was a close affair as is usually the case in Goggin arena.
Shulmistra kept Miami in the game the whole way. He made some
great saves in each period, but was especially strong in the
second period when BG outshot Miami 12-2 and played almost the
entire period in Miami's zone. This was definitely not one of
Miami's better efforts offensively. Their power play was extremely
poor. In fact, I think BG had more shots on goal during Miami
power plays than Miami did. Miami had a difficult time getting
the puck out of their zone on power plays, passing, and getting
shots on goal.

BG played well defensively in short handed situations. And their
aggressive play resulted in several short handed scoring opportunities.
The power play goal in the first period by Curtis Fry was a sweet
three way passing play. But that was about the best opportunity
the power play had the whole game.

BG forechecked well throughout the entire game. Glen Mears was on
fire as he checked anything and everything that moved. Chad
Ackerman was also doing alot of body work. I was impressed with
the play of both defenseman. On the offensive side, Curtis Fry and
Jamie Williams received high marks from me. Both are extremely
fast and handle the puck well. They were like bees buzzing around
the arena. Considering some of the hits these little guys took,
they showed guts in continuously pushing the play.

Not to be outdone, Miami did have some great scoring opportunities.
But Bob Petrie was outstanding in goal. He made some tremendous
saves. He's a butterfly-style goalie, that goes down quickly and
has a great glove hand. He robbed Miami on three seperate occasions.
The last one being a three-on-two break in the last minute of regulation.
The glove hand knocked down and then covered what appeared to be the
game winning goal. Needless to say, there were alot of dejected Miami
fans when the red light didn't shine.

Total shots were 30-23 in favor of Bowling Green. Miami outshot BG in
first and third periods, 10-8 and 10-9 respectedly. And as already
reported, BG outshot Miami 12-2 in the second. I believe each had 1 shot
on goal in OT.

The game winning goal was a nice 3-way rush up ice. Holzinger came from
right of Shulmistra, around the defenseman, right out front, and flicked
the puck back him with 1:34 left in OT.

Next up: road trip to BG this Friday to see them take on Alaska-Fairbanks
(see you at the game Keith?).

Next up for Miami: Ferris State. I'd expect Miami's offense to more finely
tuned for Ferris. I think George Gwozdecky will have them ready to play.
Ferris always plays Miami tough and it should be a good series.

Paul Marchant     |  CCHA, BEST in NCAA Hockey  | (513) 865 - 1637
Mead Data Central |                             | Statutes Conversion Eng.
P.O. Box 933      |      Go BGSU Falcons!       | [log in to unmask]
Dayton, OH  45401 |                             | ...!uunet!meaddata!paulm