I agree with Mike that there are discrepancies with stat keeping.

Another scenario for giving assists:

    Player A1 passes to A2.  A2 and A3 pass twice between them with A2 scoring
the goal.  The reverse sequence of control is:  A2, A3, A2, A1.  I've seen the
play scored as A2 from A3, but I've also seen A2 from A3 AND A1.

    My question:  is there a point when A1 should never be considered for an
assist?  If A2 and A3 pass four times?

    My understanding was that the scoring should reflect the last 3 INSTANCES of
control (A2, A3, A2) with repeats deleted.  Apparently, this is sometimes the
case.  Other times, the last 3 PLAYERS with control (A2, A3, A1) will be
credited.

What's everybody think?

Bob Mayville
Madison, WI