In the games that I have seen this year, I have not really noticed any
effect of the new rule that an attempted punch will result in an
automatic game disqualification.  It doesn't seem to me that less punches
are being thrown, nor has there been an increase in dq's.

Since I have only seen games officiated by WCHA officials, I was wondering
if the same observation can be made in the other leagues.  I was also
wondering what people think of this rule now that numerous games have
been played with it in place.

My basic feeling is that if interpreted strictly, which is not what I
have seen, it is a bit overkill.  But that perhpas it is nice to have it
in place when things get out of hand.  I'm not usually in favor of things
left to interpretation, but I also understand that not all calls are as
clear cut as off sides.

Wendy Istvanick
UW-Madison - Go Badgers!!!