I want to start out by reminding our reader that this is opinion,
  and not fact or backup by statistics so as to be taken as fact...

>I wouldn't call Maine's performance last night miserable. I think the
>players did a good job getting back into the game. They could have
>given up when they were down by what, three? And although they came
>unglued a bit in the third period, they came on strong at the end.
>They didn't fold up and leave like they did against UMass-Lowell last
>week.

    I should appologize, I think I worded that wrong, It was miserable
from the fans perspective, Maine played pretty decent (heck take out
conlan's "goal" and add either of the 3 that were taken away from us
(note I didn't have a good angle and I didn't see the replay..) and
it would ahve been close...)

>I was thinking about this last night. The Black Bears have lost a lot
>of speed. But I don't think the problem is size; I think the problem
>is strength. A lot of the players are having trouble getting off the
>boards when they're checked.

 hmmm... I guess that's true, but I would associate strength with
 size.  Look at BU, they have a big Strong team.  They pushed us
 around like we were a bunch of squirts....

>I disagree strongly. MacIsaac is one of the best defensemen around.
>He's the best defenseman the team has, and that's why he's slow -
>he's tired from playing so much to pick up the slack from injuries. I
>admit I don't know the exact number, but he has a good number of as-
>sists this season.

     Well I'd like to strong agree with you here...  Do you think that
 MacIsaac is really better than Silverman, Saunders, or Weinrich?????
 Points alone do not mean better...  Take Pual Coffey in the NHL
 Name me a team that would take Coffey over Bourque??  If MacIsaac
 is supposed to be the best, he shouldn't be getting tired, nor if
 he is the best should he be letting the puck go right by his stick
 or position during a powerplay with three minutes to go.  Perhaps
 I'm being overly critical of Dave, but until I see him improve I will
 leave him at the bottom of my depth chart.  Personally I think that
 we may be surprised by Decker... He has that size I was talking about
 reminds me alot of Imes....

>I wouldn't say it's cockiness. It's inexperience. The freshmen are
>used to being the best, but now they're in a situation where individ-
>ual efforts don't count as much. Their focus wanes a lot during games
>and they let opposing players get to them. They have to channel their
>talents to help each other and to stay focused on playing hockey, not
>daydreaming or shoving back when they're pushed around.

>I wouldn't go so far as putting thoughts and feelings into their
>heads. However, there is nothing wrong with believing you can beat
>anyone (which you allude to). I think they do put a lot of effort
>toward winning. But let's remember, even if they don't put as
>much effort in winning as they could, who are we to get upset? It's
>just a game.

 Alright I think I can give you this one... I will by the inexperience
 Freshman deal, but I really feel that they needed to be humiliated (?)
 the way they have in the last few weeks.  I think it will take away
 that feeling of "were the best" (even if its only in their own minds
 and not as or from the team.) I think that we should see a turn around
 right about now.  I really feel that this will be a character booster
 for the team.  Hopefully it won't be too late for them to turn
 things around...

>Ryan Robbins
>Stodder Hall
>University of Maine