Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]> reports

>Cornell product Joe Nieuwendyk scored three first period goals
>last night en route to a 5 point game.  It was Joe's ninth hat trick
>in the NHL; he had 8 for Cornell, including his memorable

>It wasn't even the most goals he's scored in a period.  Joe shares
>that NHL record of 4, part of a 5 goal effort against Winnipeg on
>1/11/89 (also the Flames' record for most in a game).

>I don't remember whether he had any assists in the five goal
>game, or in his four goal game against Boston in 88.  I suspect 5 is
>the most points he's scored in a pro game.

I think that's correct.  No assists in the 5 goal game.  Other 5-point games
against Washington (10/27/90) and Vancouver (4/9/93), each with 2 goals and 3
assists; maybe one other.  I'm not sure about the 4 goal games his rookie year
(there was one against Buffalo also), but it seems like there might have been a
single assist in one of them.

>Joe now has 20 goals in 32 games.  His career high is 51. He
>should be fine, provided he stays out of Europe.*
>* both serious injuries of his career sustained in European competitions.

Actually, in 29 games played.  He missed 3 and most of another when he took a
knee in the leg in an earlier Vancouver game.

It's really good to see him finally back all the way from his knee injuries.
Very late last season, it seemed that he suddenly regained his leg strength.
For several years before that, his speed was reduced a little and, more
critically, he was spending too much time collapsed to the ice as his legs
would give out.

This year he has been a real force, absolutely dominant in many games.  He's
also playing a much more physical game than ever before, at a heavier weight
that hasn't hurt his speed.  He's on pace this season for 50+ goals, 100+
points, and his 300th career goal (already the Calgary all-time leader).

Chuck Henderson         [log in to unmask]