The following appeared in Foster's Daily Democrat (Dover, NH) on
November 27, 1993.  It was at the tail end of an article by Barry
Scanlon; Scanlon covers UNH hockey for FDD.

   "COMPUTER RANKING: Following last weekend, the Wildcats were ranked
No. 8 by WMEB (Orono, Maine) and No. 10 by College Hockey Journal
(Houghton, Mich.).
   The polls have not been all that kind to the once-beaten Wildcats.
   Keith Instone of Bowling Green State University, who does a
computer ranking of every Division I school, had UNH fourth in the
nation as of Monday morning with a 57.33 ranking.  Only Maine (86.18),
Michigan (79.99), and Northeastern (58.68) were ahead of UNH.
   Instone takes into account far more than just overall record.  For
example, strength of schedule is an important factor.
   'Obviously, it's more accurate,' said [UNH head coach Dick] Umile,
adding that in some polls people's personal agendas taint their picks.
'It's just based on (performance).'
   Instone is a research associate in BGSU's computer science
department."
END

Nice to see the good ink...and interesting to see Umile repeat what we
already know about the polls. :-)  I'd just add that to be fair, TCHCR
or any other computer rating is not necessarily "obviously" better...you
have to agree with the method used, before you can agree with the
rating, IMO.  And that method can be highly subjective - developers of
ratings often have their own agendas.

BTW, Umile has a sort of coach's show Saturdays on WMUR-TV9 in
Manchester, NH, at noon, I think; I watched it this past weekend.  Not
bad to see a half hour devoted to college hockey talk on regular tv
around here.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<<< Color Voice of the (7-7-1) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>>