Chris writes:

>Ok, here's the situation:
>
>Player 1 from Team A takes a minor penalty at 13:00.
>Player 1 from Team B takes a minor penalty at 13:30.
>Player 2 from Team B takes a minor penalty at 14:30.
>
>Team A (now on a powerplay) scores at 14:55.
>
>Remaining penalty times are:
>
>Team A:  0:05
>Team B:  0:35
>         1:35
>
>The question:  Which of B's penalties is wiped out?  If possible, I would
>love a specific reference to the applicable rule in the NC$$ rulebook.

I'll have to dig out a rule book for the specific wording, but the rule is
that the penalty of the player who FIRST put the scoring team on the power
play is the one that gets wiped out.  In the above situation, Player 1 from
Team B put the teams at even strength, 4-on-4.  Player 2 gave Team A a power
play, 4-on-3, which Team A scored on.  Since Player 2 caused the power play
situation, Player 2 gets out of the box.  I recall this situation also
being discussed in the Interpretations section of the rule book as well.

If you remove Team A's penalty from above (that is, Team A is on a 5-on-3
rather than a 4-on-3) and Team A scores, player 1 from Team B would return,
because in that situation, player 1 gave Team A the power play first --
player 2 only made it worse.

Now, why they follow this rule, rather than just universally ending the pen-
alty of whoever has the least time remaining, I don't know.
--
Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and probably '94        |  [log in to unmask]