Friday night at Bright Hockey Center, the Harvard Crimson came out
fast and stormed the Bulldogs of Yale.  The Elis seemed to miss the
leadership of USA Team coach Tim Taylor as all night long they looked
disoriented.  Harvard had a tremendous first period.  In fact it is
the best I have seen the Crimson play in many years.

Brian Farrell (Derek Maguire, Sean McCann) opened the scoring on a
power play goal for Harvard when he tipped in a shot from the point.
The chance happened off a twirling break-in pattern that I loved.
Farrell (Chris Baird, McCann) made it 2-0 on another power play
when he poked home a rebound off shot from the point.  The Crimson
were flying at this point, and Yale had little choice but to take
some penalties to try to stay in the game.  Cory Gustafson (Steve
Martins, Ben Coughlin) finished off a brilliant pass, when he picked
the puck out of the air and sent it home.  Martins backdoor pass made
the goal, but cheers to Gustafson for the touch to put it in.
Harvard finished the scoring when Baird (Farrell) shot in a big
rebound from right in front of the net.  The second and third periods
were scoreless.

Yale played a very flat offense.  Only a perfect pass would have set
up a goal.  They just did not give themselves much of a chance.  In-
dividual players like Dan Brierley, a solid defender, led isolated
rushed, but there was little chemistry for the Elis.  It could be
a hard year for them without coach Taylor.

Harvard played a great first period.  I loved the angular offense
they went with.  It looks great when they use their speed and
passing skills.  The power play did not look that good.  It is
too flat and motionless.  It hopes and prays for a big rebound.
The big worry is what happened after the first period.  Well,
Harvard took their usual second period nap.  However, they did
not awaken, as in years gone by, and play interesting hockey
for the second half of the period and all of the third.  Instead
they got tight.  The angular offense disappeared.  They did try
to storm Yale again at the start of the third period, but with
the flat offense, there were few chances.  I have heard a number
of people complain about the team playing only 20 minutes.  I
would take twenty minutes like that anytime.  It was so good,
it could give any team a run for their money.  The flat stuff/
defense first hockey the Crimson has been playing the last few
years is never going to get them anywhere.  If they can stay
with the angular offense (which doesn't even need all the
speed they sometimes have) and become confident with it and
themselves, they have the talent to be a real strong team.
If they worry and play defense, I look for problems down
the road.

The best player on the ice Friday night was Captain Sean McCann.  He
played a terrific match.  He is a good example of Harvard's strength:
the defenders.  McCann blocked shots, poke-checked passes, and at
the same time, had the speed to join the attack.  His passing helped
make the angular offense click.  His work on the power play down
low was wonderful.  Steve Martins also had an excellent game.  When
he skates and passes well, Harvard is a different team.  Ashlin
Halfnight played a strong match on defense.  He was so good at
feeling the hot spots when killing a penalty.  He also had the
best oh-la-la rush of the night.  His partner on the blue line
Lou Body also had a strong match.  My notes also contain praise
for Derek Maguire and Kirk Nielsen who was moving well in the
open areas of the offense, and on the side: hitting people.

It will be interesting to see which offense Harvard stays with
as the year progresses.

/
 good shooting
 rhun