(Stephen writes about poll votes).

   I think different people vote differently in part because they are
   ranking different attributes.  If someone was ranking by wins and
   losses only, then why bother with a poll ...  just sort the list by
   wins and losses.  I think most people are not ranking completely by
   performance so far, but by one of at least two looks into the future:
   end of season ranking or NCAA tourney ranking.

   You'll find a significant amount of discussion about this in the
   HOCKEY-L posting archives, including comments by some poll takers.

>I can see the flames coming now!  ...

   No "flames" on HOCKEY-L, please :-)

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]