Here is the article from the Minnesota Daily in this morning's edition. It
gives a recap of the WCHA-CCHA Challenge.

For those that have been asking Wisconsin beat Michigan 5-3 (I think).

Headline: Hockey Gophers fall to Michigan, top State (Michigan State)
Publish Date: 11/29/1993
:RM138PT:By David Jackson
Staff Reporter

After his team was humbled 6-0 by Michigan on Friday, Gopher hockey
coach Doug Woog shuffled his lines, looking for a winning
combination.

He found it.

The Gophers beat Michigan State 6-5 on Saturday to salvage a split in
the CCHA-WCHA Challenge at The Palace, in Auburn Hills, Mich.

Woog changed three of his four lines for Saturday's game, and each of
the redesigned groups produced two goals. Goalie Jeff Moen also did
his part, making 24 saves to win his second straight game.

"The complaint I had was that the line that was playing the best was
the smallest line," Woog said. "We've got these other guys who were
strong, and they weren't playing together."

Woog had his players take walks Saturday morning. He sent each new
line of forwards and each defensive pair out together, hoping they
would come back with a solution for Friday's performance.

"I said, `You guys go out and see if you can figure out that it takes
all three guys (on the line) to win. See if you can start to get some
chemistry.'"

After spotting the Spartans a 2-0 lead and bringing back memories of
the previous night, the Gophers went to work late in the first
period.

Sophomore Jesse Bertogliat scored his first goal of the season --
only the second of his career -- when he took Tony Bianchi's pass at
the right circle and beat Michigan State goalie Mike Buzak high to
the glove side.

Justin McHugh then tied the game before the end of the period,
controlling a bouncing puck off a defenseman's skate and sliding it
past a diving Buzak.

When Steve Magnusson picked up a rebound behind the net and
successfully wrapped it around to Buzak's left, the Gophers led 3-2
just 58 seconds into the second period. They would never trail again.

The Spartans' Steve Guolla tied the game at 5:58 of the period, and
the teams went to the third period even at 3.

Minnesota struck first at 4:50 when Dave Larson jumped on a loose
puck in the slot and whistled a wristshot through Buzak's pads.

Michigan State answered on Anson Carter's power-play goal at 6:29.
Chris Smith's slapshot deflected off Moen, and when Dan Trebil tried
to bat the puck out of the air with his glove, it landed in the
goalmouth. Carter got to the puck an instant before teammate Rem
Murray and batted it in.

But Jed Fiebelkorn got a lucky bounce of his own when he beat the
defense and Trebil's pass deflected off a Spartan defenseman onto his
stick. The junior deked goalie Buzak to the right and stuffed the
puck into the short side at 8:43.

Jeff Nielsen scored an empty-net goal at 19:49 to give the Gophers a
two-goal lead, which they would need when Josh Weigand one-timed a
centering pass past Moen with 2.4 seconds left.

"We played hard. Everyone was going over the boards for us. Every
line had some consistency," Woog said.

The Gophers could be happy with a performance like Saturday's after
playing miserably against the top-ranked Wolverines on Friday.

"We had no consistency," Woog said. "Maybe a line would have a good
shift. Then it would be three or four lines before we had another
good one."

Michigan goalie Steve Shields stopped all 20 Gopher shots to earn his
89th career win, an NCAA record.

Forward David Oliver scored a pure hat-trick, beating Gopher goalie
Jeff Callinan three times in the first period.

After a scoreless second period, Wolverine freshman Jason Botterill
scored twice on power-plays early in the third period, and Mike
Hilton added the sixth goal in the game's final five minutes.

Gopher notes: Each team in the challenge finished with a 1-1 record.
Michigan State got two goals from Carter to beat Wisconsin 4-2 in
Friday's second game, giving the CCHA a sweep of Friday's
doubleheader.

But the Badgers handed Michigan its first loss of the season when
Brian Rafalski's goal broke a 3-3 tie in the third period Saturday
and propelled Wisconsin to a 5-3 win.

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!