Just a few observations about the game last night.

On the plus side:

Overall, I felt that Cornell played quite well.  While it was obvious that the
BU team was faster and stronger, Cornell was very persistent and never gave up.
Eddie Scazyk played an excellent game and came up with some great saves.  He
really kept us in this game.  Another player who caught my eye was Jake Karam.
He put out a tremendous effort even though he only had an assist.

On the minus side:

Eddie Scazyk faced many more shots than he should have.  I feel that the cause
of this is that BU kept the puck tied up in the Cornell zone for some lengthy
stretches, which made it difficult for the Cornell offense to move the puck
because they needed line changes as soon as they cleared the puck.  Unless
Cornell can start to generate some offense, the defense is really going to be
under the gun just to keep them alive.

The fourth BU goal was a badly blown call.  There were several players piled
up in front of the Cornell goal, and they were all over Scazyk.  He had no
chance to try for a save.  When the bodies cleared after the goal, it was
clear that there had been a BU player right in the crease.  I see no way that
the refs could not have either blown the play dead before the shot or waved
off the goal.  I have learned to tolerate poor officiating, but I find it
extremely frustrating when it has a direct impact on the outcome of a game.

Howard Stein
Cornell '91
Go Big Red!