>        BU hung on to beat Cornell 4-3 tonight at Lynah.  From about the
>middle of the first period onward, things were pretty even; at the very
>start of the game, it looked as if BU would blow the Big Red out of the
>building.  Cornell actually managed to score a power play goal *and* a
>shorthanded goal.  After the Red had tied the game at 3 (having been
>down 2-0 and 3-1) at the end of the second period, BU scored a rather
>questionable goal in the third to win it.  It was one of those where
>the folks standing near me (near the goal, in fact) and I felt that the
>referee *must* have lost sight of the puck and should have blown the play
>dead before the puck (along with Cornell goalie Skazyk, two defensemen,
>and at least one BU forward) crossed the goal line.  Oh, well.

Just because you and your friends lost sight of the puck or feel that the
referee *must* have lost sight of the puck doesn't mean the referee lost
sight of the puck. I talked to Joe Kelly after the game, and what he said
was essentially that the puck was just sitting there, and he had to keep
telling himself not to blow the whistle too early. He's ten feet away from
the play, I'm more than a hundred on the wrong side of the glass, I'll
accept his version.

>        A minor highlight: in the first period, a Cornell clearing pass
>floated lazily out of play, over the penalty boxes, and toward the PA
>announcer -- hockey-L's own Arthur Mintz.  The puck looked eminently
>catchable from where we were sitting (to Arthur's right), but he failed
>to catch it cleanly.  Too busy with stats, perhaps.  In any case, like a
>good Wrigley Field bleacher bum, Arthur picked the puck up off the floor
>and offered it back to the "puck person" in the penalty box.  Good citizen!

Saw it all the way. Got both hands on it, almost caught it, trapped it
against the scorer's table (NOT the floor!). Used to make plays like that
routinely when I was playing softball, but I haven't played competitive
softball in more than 3 years. Why Cornell's penalty killers would want to
pass the puck to me escapes me; I don't shoot very well, especially from
where I'm located.