From David Weinberg:
>P.S. Mike was commenting on Glavine's elgibility for college hockey after
>his retirement from baseball and I think that at least for Division I
>there is an age limit because I remember a case of a basketball player who
>wanted to play ball after he got out of the army but couldn't because he
>was to old.

About 6-7 years ago the U of Minn. basketball team had on their varsity squad
for three years (I think) an ex-Army paratrooper by the name of Richard Coffey.
He was a junior college transfer, but he had to be in his late 20s by the time
he graduated. He was a varsity starter, too, not a reserve. (His Gopher team
appeared at least twice in the NCAA tournament, I believe. Of course, I can't
trust my memory, since I concentrate on other winter sports :-) )

If Glavine wanted (?!) to play college hockey after he retired, I think the
problem would be more likely lack of regular ice time (to keep up his skills)
and slower step due to age rather than the age itself. (I don't think he'd have
time to work out during the baseball season in Atlanta.)

Wonder if there would be any two pro teams who would consider a baseball/hockey
player who switched off teams during the year a la Deion Sanders? And could a
player's body even take it?

Pat Gonzales, production coordinator            voice - 612 / 624-0204
University of Minnesota Press                     fax - 612 / 626-7313
Minneapolis                                  Internet - [log in to unmask]