> Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1993 00:24:00 -0400
> From: Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Another rink goes by the wayside
> To: Multiple recipients of list HOCKEY-L
>
> Charlie Shub writes:
> >The broadmoor hotel has announced they will be tearing down the world
> >arena next spring.  The arena has a long and famous history that i'll
> >leave to someone from The Colorado College to describe.
>
> Is the Broadmoor World Arena the same as the Broadmoor Ice Palace?  If
> so, the arena has been host to more DivI championships than any other
> rink - 11.  The first 10 championships were awarded on that surface,
> from 1948-57, as well as the 1969 championship.  Michigan, which has
> won more NC$$ championships than any other team (7), won 6 of those on
> Broadmoor ice.  And CC won its only two championships there as well.

Yes, that's the place.  the arena simply reeks with history and
nostalgia.  The building has two sheets of ice, the second seet is
much smaller and is used for curling.  The arena is asymmetric with 4
rows of seats on one side and about 30 on the other.  I'm not
convinced there are many good seats in the arena.  The pitch (rise of
subsequent rows) is even smaller than the flat sections at old
mariucci and DU, so it is difficult to see over the people in front of
you.  If you go to the back row and stand on the seat to see over
people, the floor of the press box obscures the far side of the ice.
I'm told the press box has good viewing, but the access is terrible.
A ladder is placed in an aisle, and is hauled up into the box during
play so the aisle can be used by the patrons.

> I noticed one option not listed was for the college itself to build a
> rink - is this not a possibility?

There is probably going to be an arena built.  The big issue at this
point is, of course, who'll pay for it.  Everybody wants somebody else
to pay for it.  People point fingers at the Broadmoor and the El Pomar
Foundation (the charity behind the broadmoor) saying they've got a
"duty" to maintain the tradition.  The powers that be at the hotel and
the foundation are not dumb, and they are doing their best to try to
get somebody else to pay for the rink.  If CC builds it itself, it
would be with a sizable donation from the broadmoor, so in my
description earlier, i was linking the college and the hotel
together.

> In other Colorado hockey news, I read in the local paper that former
> USAFA skater Bob Ingraham (Cal's brother), who graduated this year and
> is from Georgetown, MA, will be a graduate assistant with Air Force
> this coming season.

Yes,  Bobby is looking good.  I ran into him, Coach Delich, and
Assistant Coach Bowman while at the arena today.  Bobby say brother
Cal will be playing at Maine this year.

> Mike Machnik            [log in to unmask]        [log in to unmask]

charlie shub
[log in to unmask]  -or-  cdash@colospgs (BITNET)
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369