Russell writes:
>I see lots of people talking about cold rinks, and some of them claiming to
>have been to all (or most) Eastern rinks.  Well I've got to throw in 2 Div. 3
>rinks that people are missing...

Haven't been to Hamilton, but Canisius (i.e. Nichols) still does not
approach the Volpe at Merrimack for sheer coldness.  To put my vote in
perspective, I guess, I have been in every eastern major DivI rink
(22) except two: the new UMass rink, and Cheel at Clarkson (Walker
would have ranked up there, btw).  DivIII (or non-major DivI) rinks
I've been in include Salem State, UMass-Boston, Plattsburgh, Canisius,
and I think that's it.  But between Heather and I, she with DivIII and
I with DivI, we've covered a LOT of territory in the East. :-)

I was going to note that Kariya had Walsh and Montgomery sitting next
to him in Quebec but Wayne beat me to it.  Kariya was interviewed
right after being chosen and said he'd talk to his coach and family
and then in August (as Wayne said) he'd probably decide what to do.  I
think it's great that the Ducks said they'd wait for him.  I wondered
whether they would pressure him to come out before he really wanted
to.  I don't know if he will stay at Maine for four years, but if he
does, I think he very well could leave Orono regarded as the best
player ever to play college hockey.

Those who didn't watch the draft might not know...but Anaheim actually
LOST the toss for 4th and 5th place with Florida.  Florida won it, but
they decided to take 5th instead of 4th, which meant they'll have the
first pick overall next year.  Anaheim then chose Kariya 4th.
Speculation was that Florida, with Bobby Clarke as GM, was wary of
Kariya (size, probably) and knew that Anaheim wanted him, thus they
let Anaheim have the 4th pick.  Great move on their part, I thought.
Point is, Kariya just as easily could be a Panther instead of a Duck.

Kariya gave the "proper" answer when asked if this was the biggest day
of his life...he said that the NC$$ championship and World Juniors
were bigger. :-)

Wish I had the paper here today...some of the players chosen include
Shawn Bates of Medford (headed to BU) by Boston, and 6-8 225 D John
Jakopin of Ontario (headed to Merrimack) by Detroit in the 4th.
---
Mike Machnik           [log in to unmask]    [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMN* 11/13/93