Lacrosse? Hockey!

Did anyone catch the tape-delay broadcast of the Syracuse-UNC national lacrosse
championship game on CBS?  If I were not mistaken, CBS also showed the NCAA Div
I wrestling, swimming, and some of the College World Series that Greg
mentioned.  Part of me felt that how come these college sports received more
national network-TV exposure when ice hockey did not.  One can make the
argument that swimming and wrestling are found coast to coast, and I agree.
But lacrosse?  I can't remember a final game between a non-Eastern school and
an Eastern school, at least in the last five years.  Hockey, on the other hand,
at least extends to the midwest if not including Colorado and Alaska.  In terms
of popularity, I would have to believe that there are as many college hockey
fans as college lacrosse fans, if not more.  This regional appeal thing just
does not work for me.

On the other hand, part of me felt that by not getting a whole lot of
attention, we can keep college hockey out of the big-money mentality and make
it one of the best-kept secrets in sports.  I don't subscribe to another
bulletin, but I suspect that on a basketball or football net you won't find the
kind of expertise and collegiality that exists on Hockey-L.  So perhaps the
lack of media attention is a blessing in disguise.

Tom Y. Tseng
Cornell '87  MEng '94