Sid writes:
> But now, for at least the 3rd time in the last 6 years, UMass-Lowell is
> in this thing? I mean, no offense, but I don't think folks in Troy
> would complain too much about a little variation. Maine in '94
> seems to be step in the right direction, but that's no consolation for
> this year. Maybe it means planning a little earlier for future tournaments.
>
> Of course, the elimination of the Auld Lang Syne will free up Dartmouth,
> UVM, and UNH, and at least one of the Boston-area teams around the
> holidays. Who knows....

   Just so we're all on the same page .... As I understand it, UVM is
planning its own Holiday Tournament to be held annually in Gutterson Field
House, so it's not likely that UVM would be able to participate in the
RPI Invitational.  Indeed, unless there's some coordination here re: dates,
UVM and RPI could be in serious competition for tournament participants.
As for UNH, it's *my* belief that the 'Cats would be unlikely to participate
so long as the RPI-UNH every-other-year home/home series continues (this
year at RPI in November).  After all, everyone's (well, I'll be kind and
not be *too* harsh on the WCHA's inbred scheduling proclivities :-) looking
to EXPAND, not shrink, their opportunities for inter-league play by opening
up the pool of potential opponents.  UNH opted out of the Auld Lang Syne in
part to do just that, as well as travel further afield to aid in recruiting;
that's why the 'Cats will play in the Great Western Freezeout this year for
the first time.  Incidentally, I think the format of that Tournament (one
representative from each of the 4 major DivI conferences) is an ideal way
to emphasize that college hockey is a "regional sport" only if one considers
that "region" to stretch from Orono to Anchorage !!  AND (not coincidentally)
it sends Keith and the rest of TCHCR mavens into paroxysms of ecstasy over
its high connectivity quotient :-)  Now that UNH is in effect a "free agent"
as regards its Holiday Tournament committments, look for the 'Cats to play
in a variety of "Showdowns," "Classics," and "Invitationals" in the years
ahead, all with an aim to put their best foot (skate :-) forward ....

Cheers from balmy Maryland - Jim