Here, well ahead of schedule, is the list of incoming Cornell players for
next season:

Name           Pos.  Ht.   Wt.   Previous Team             Hometown

Vincent Auger   C    6-0   180   Hawkesbury Hawks (COJHL)  Ste-Foy, Que.

Tony Bergin     W    6-3   200   Notre Dame Hounds (SJHL)  Fredericton, N.B.
Matthew Cooney  W    6-0   180   Notre Dame Hounds (SJHL)  Yorkton, Sask.
Jamie Papp      W    6-0   185   St. Thomas (WOJHL)        Lambeth, Ont.

Jason Kendall   D    6-3   195   Winnipeg Blues (MJHL)     Winnipeg, Man.
Chad Wilson     D    6-0   185   Powell River (BCJHL)      Terrace, B.C.
Steve Wilson    D    5-10  187   Nepean (COJHL)            Nepean, Ont.

Thoughts:

1.   Quote from assistant coach Casey Jones:  "We got some nasty boys, eh?"
     True enough -- this class doesn't include any of the 5-9 160-pound
     players that have become prevalent at Cornell over the past few years.
     Part of the problem last season was that the Big Red got so beat up
     that they became tentative in checking other players.  This was
     especially the case when the team's three biggest forwards (Tyler
     McManus, Mike Sancimino, and the departing Jason Vogel) were all out of
     the lineup at the same time.  A stableful of big fellas who can dish
     out some punishment of their own will help out a lot.  If they can
     score or at least shoot the puck, it will help out even more.

2.   No goalie.  This might be a cause for concern if you consider the per-
     formance of the Andy Bandurski-Eddy Skazyk rotation last season --
     especially Skazyk's half of it.  I assume Eddy had some head-spinning
     numbers before coming to Cornell, because the coaching staff worked
     awful hard to get him here.  But he just wasn't ready for collegiate
     hockey, as his 0-8 record (including losses to Colgate, Princeton, and
     Union) attests.  I would hope he makes a dramatic improvement over the
     summer, since I wouldn't be surprised to see head coach Brian McCut-
     cheon try the rotation again next season.  As for Bandurski, he played
     well, all things considered, and I think he could handle the goal-
     tending duties on his own next year.  But that doesn't mean some hot-
     shot couldn't come in and take the starting job away from him.

     Which makes me wonder a bit.  Cornell has had a reputation for solid
     goaltending that stretches back to the days of Ken Dryden, and it would
     seem to be an attractive place for an up-and-coming goalie to flash his
     skills.  It's not as if Casey and the other assistant, Mark Taylor,
     weren't trying -- they go all over the place, as can be seen by the
     list of recruits above (who come from a total of six Canadian prov-
     inces, from British Columbia to New Brunswick).

3.   Defenseman overload.  This might be a good thing, since defense was the
     weakest part of the Big Red last season.  But it looks like there will
     be at most two blue-line openings at the varsity level, and with three
     guys coming in plus two current freshmen who have some varsity exper-
     ience (Tim Shean and Alex Vershinin), there could be a nice little
     battle developing here.

4.   "Legacies."  Almost all of the incoming freshmen are following in
     current or former Cornellians' footsteps.  Vincent Auger comes from the
     Hawkesbury Hawks, the former team of defenseman Christian Felli and
     former center Doug Derraugh.  Steve Wilson hails from Nepean, the home-
     town and previous team of defenseman extraordinaire Dan Ratushny
     (hopefully, some of that will rub off on Steve).  Prior to Jason Ken-
     dall, the Winnipeg Blues gave us forward/defenseman Jim McPhee and
     winger Geoff Bumstead.  But the biggest pipeline in recent years has
     been the one from Notre Dame in Saskatchewan.  Tony Bergin and Matthew
     Cooney are the latest in a line that includes current Cornellians Shaun
     Hannah and Dan Dufresne, and former Big Red players Stephane Gauvin,
     Jason Vogel, and Kent Manderville, among others.
--
Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and probably '94