Odds and Ends about Collegians in the NHL, the 1993 Hall-of-Fame
game, the new arena, Gophers' broadcasts, and St. Cloud St recruits:

Recently there's been discussion about the first college players to
go on to the NHL.  No one has mentioned John Mariucci, the legendary
Minnesota hockey player/coach who played for the Blackhawks in the
1940's.  Or you could count former Gopher coach Doc Romnes' year at
St. Thomas College before playing in the NHL from 1930-1940.

This item about the U. S. Hockey Hall-of-Fame game is from Sid
Hartman's column in last Friday's (5/14/93) Star-Tribune:
        Gophers hockey coach Doug Woog is campaigning to move the
        Oct. 15 game with Michigan Tech from Eveleth (for a Hall of
        Fame celebration) to the new Mariucci Arena.  "It would be a
        fitting tribute to John Mariucci, a member of the Hall of Fame,"
        Woog said.
I don't know if the people in Eveleth will stand for that or not.
Maybe for the very first game in the new arena named after their
native son...
Again, for the benefit of the Tech people who read this, I'll include
the disclaimer that Sid has been referred to as "Scud" in reference
to both his volume and his accuracy -- or lack thereof -- especially
in hockey matters.

That gives me a chance to mention that the glass facade was
completed yesterday at the main entrance to the new Mariucci Arena.
Looks pretty impressive!  It was finished sometime between my
busride to the Mpls campus at 11:50 and my busride back to the St.
Paul campus at 1:30 (the intercampus bus goes by the construction
site)- no long lunch breaks on this project!

In the same paper (in Jon Roe's Broadcast Sports column) there was
more speculation about Gopher hockey broadcast changes in the wake
of the Stars' departure:  radio coverage moving to KSTP (which
carried North Stars' games) or WCCO from KFAN (whose
Timberwolves commitments caused many games to be carried on an
alternate station) and greater *FREE* TV coverage now that KMSP
(which carried only 6 games last year, the rest being on cable) will
no longer have North Stars games.

From the S'trib a week or two ago:
        Three metro hockey players -- Mike Maristuen of Roseville,
        Dave Paradise of Shoreview, and Cory Peterson of Bloomington
        Jefferson -- have signed letters of intent to play at St. Cloud
        State University.
The article doesn't say, but I THINK all three are forwards.  Paradise
spent the last year (2 years??) with the St. Paul Vulcans of the USHL
juniors.  I believe he's also the son of one of the Paradise brothers
who played for the Gophers in the late 60s.  Peterson played on the
undefeated two-time state champion Jefferson team with Gopher
recruits Nick Checco and Brian LeFleur (as well as this year's Gopher
rookie-of-the-year, Dan Trebil).

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!
1993 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!