As part of their coverage of the last Norm's Stars home game
(unless St. Louis managed to lose to Tampa Bay, and Minnesota
manages to beat Detroit), today's (4/14/93) Star Tribune had
this article speculating on how the move would affect Gopher
hockey.

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!
1993 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!

'U' doesn't expect big changes after Stars' departure

By John Gilbert

Twenty years ago, the Gophers hockey program took on the
NHL's North Stars by promoting itself as "the fastest game in
town."  But current Gophers coach Doug Woog is not gloating
that his team suddenly will be the only game in town.

"All in all, I think there will be a trickle-down effect where
all hockey in Minnesota will suffer by the North Stars leaving,"
Woog said.  "I'm  not excited that the North Stars are leaving.
I don't think our level of hockey should be the end-all.  It's neat
that our players can move on to another level, and our
credibility is enhanced by the NHL being here.

"When fans see former Gophers like Trent Klatt or Neal Broten,
or Jimmy Johnson and Jon Casey and those former college
players who come in on other teams, they realize how good the
college hockey product is.  But if you're a hockey fan in
Minnesota, you're aware Gopher hockey is good.  And if we're
getting an extra boost from some North Stars fans it's hard to
tell because we've got such great demand for our new building."

Telephones at the Gophers' ticket office starting ringing with
greater frequency about a week before the final decision was
announced that the North Stars were moving to Dallas.  But
sellouts at the new 9,000-seat Mariucci Arena had been
anticipated before the Stars' departure became official.

The most readily apparent benefits to the Gophers program
could be in broadcast coverage, and in the creative mind of Pat
Forciea, the North Stars vice president.  Forciea, who met
earlier this week with Gophers men's athletic director
McKinley Boston and senior associate director Mark Dienhart,
might be hired by the university as a consultant.

"I think the Gophers hockey program has the potential for some
large increases in corporate revenue support," said Forciea, a
former goaltender at Greenway of Coleraine.  Much of the
financial support Forciea envisions might be though
advertising on television or radio broadcasts.  Midwest Sports
Channel, which has carried both North Stars and Gophers
hockey games, has contacted the university about increasing
the number of Gophers games it telecasts next season.

And both KSTP and WCCO have shown interest in radio rights to
next season's Gopher game.  If KSTP were to broadcast games,
Al Shaver, the voice of the North Stars for each of their 26
seasons, might do play-by-play.  for two seasons Gophers fans
have complained about radio broadcasts o KFAN-AM, where
more than half the games were tape-delayed or moved to a
secondary station because of conflicts with Timberwolves
games.

As for increased attendance, Gophers ticket manager Ken Buell
said the Gophers "really can't accommodate any new fans"
despite the new and larger Mariucci Arena, which will open in
August.

"The North Stars leaving does not affect us that much," said
Buell.  "Ever since we won our first NCAA championship under
Herb Brooks, back in the mid-70s, we've never had a downturn
in demand for tickets.  We've sold out to the point where all
we've had to sell is obstructed-view seats ever since then.
We'd regularly sell 7,000 or 7,500 tickets at the old Mariucci
Arena, and only about 3,000 of them had a clear, unobstructed
view of the games."

(Stuff about "assured seating" deleted)

Had the North Stars' move been announced before plans for the
new Mariucci were finalized, the Gophers still might not have
wanted it any bigger.  "I might have like 10,000 seats,"  Buell
said.  "But no more than that.  Had we known there would be no
prop hockey, it might have colored our thinking a little, but not
much.  Intimacy is a factor, and by keeping the capacity down,
we're going to have fantastic sightlines."

Woog said he welcomes any new hockey fans, but regrets that
some might come at the North Stars' expense.  "And I'm not
interested in capturing the fur-coat crowd,"  Woog said.  "The
North Stars saw what good that did.  The white-collar crowd is
not a loyal hockey crowd, and they've never been Gopher hockey
fans."

(end of article)