My thoughts from the phinal phour:

Game 1.
Michigan looked good early, period.  Every second guesser in the world
(including myself) is wondering why Michigan chose to sit on the lead
rather than continue to play their game, but the bottom line is Maine
did what they had to do.  This was definitely a better effort than the
Wolverines gave in Albany, but folks outside of CCHA-land never really
saw Michigan play like they can.  It seemed that once they took a 3-2
lead midway through the second, they decided that their best strategy
was to try and make 3-2 the final score.  Steve Shields was HUGE in net
for Michigan.  As I told many folks at the gathering, that game would
have been 6-3 or 7-3 last year.  Shields has really improved.  As for
Maine, Kariya was about what I expected, and I had seen Montgomery
before (in the 1990 GLI), but Cal Ingraham was a treat (from an unbiased
perspective).  Ingraham can play for my team seven days a week.

Hockey-L gathering.
Definitely the highlight of the trip.  A great group of people and some
mighty good food (the 5-cheese burger with pub fries was just what I
needed).  Thanks to Steve Manning and David Parter for getting things
going.  Did anyone think to make a list of those in attendance?

Game 2.
Gotta love the Lakers.  For those of you not familiar with the CCHA,
LSSU Hobey Baker finalist Brian Rolston is from Ann Arbor and attended
Pioneer High School, about one good spit from the Michigan campus.
If Michigan could have kept him at home...

Friday.
Headed home.  Even after I vowed that I would stay until Sunday, no
matter what.  The loss was a downer and the weather played a big role
in the decision.  We stopped in Chicago, hoping to put the weekend's
disappointment behind us, only to step into Harry Caray's and be
greeted with, "Gee, a lot of Michigan people have been through here
today."  Argh.

Game 3.
Taped it, but haven't seen it.  I was too busy watching A League Of
Their Own and getting psyched for baseball season.

  John Haeussler
  Univ of Michigan
  NC$$ Phinal Phour, 1992 & 1993
  aMAIZin' BLUE!