Sorry that this isn't college hockey, I'll include something at the
end to try to make up for it.

First, I consider myself a fan of hockey (especially college hockey),
and greatly respect the "purity" of the sport.  But, I have to say
that I think that having a team owned by Disney named "The Mighty
Ducks" is the smartest move in recent years by the NHL.

Purely and simply, it will gain an enormous amount of exposure for the
NHL and hockey as a sport.  I doubt very much that Disney's
advertising of the team will cover the "hard hitting" aspects of the
game, so the NHL will have a skilled marketing giant showing off the
"grace" and "finesse" of the sport.  Something they have been striving
for (or at least claiming to have been striving for), over the last
few years.

I think that hockey can be a sport that would be good "family fun" to
watch and enjoy.  If it takes having a team named after a children's
movie and owned by the makers of that movie to do it, fine!

--

Anyway, I'll be heading to Milwaukee (On a 6:30am flight, ouch!)
tomorrow and hope to see people there!  I won't make any predictions

I didn't notice if it had been posted that sophomore Derek Herlofsky
will be starting in goal for the Terriers against LSSU.  Herlofsky was
in goal for the 4-1 victory over NMU, and has only allowed 1 goal in
his last 3 games. [Including the 2-0 semi-final victory over UNH.]  He
will be backed up by senior Scott Cashman, who I feel is at his best
when coming off the bench.

Go BU!  See you in Milwaukee!

adam bryant
BU '89