Subject:      Re:  DQ'd Wisconsin People

The Wisconsin dq's are:
players Blaine Moore and Jason Zent  ---  1 game(NCAA) suspension
head coach Jeff Sauer  ---  1 game(NCAA) suspension
grad asst (?) coach Bill Zito  ---  1 year(all NCAA tourney games) suspension
                                    and a fine (not positive about this)

Jeremy Hall writes:
>So what this really means is that if for some reason, if Wisconsin doesn't
>make the NCAAs before Zent graduates, he gets away with absoluetely NO penalty?

I'm not sure if the NCAA really has the power to, for example, suspend a
player for regular season games (outside of the current rules for major
penalties).  On the other hand, the NCAA does suspend players for regular
season games when there are eligibility problems.  Maybe this is just the
NCAA's traditional way of dealing with misconduct problems in NCAA events.

Anyway, the penalty of one NCAA game is probably a smart one.  From the
perspective of last year, Wisconsin was a fairly good bet to make
to make this year's NCAA tourney.  Missing an NCAA tourney game is worth
3-4 regular season games IMHO.  By the way, Wisconsin assessed their own
penalties against the players, Moore and Zent, and coach Sauer.  They all
sat the first game this year.

----mg
Ya'sure, ya'betcha!