The following is with apologies in advance to Bob Gilreath (but Bob, you
have been too silent lately!).

Relative to the "battle of the bands" thread (rope?!) and Michigan
Tech's band being (again) banned (sorry!) from Marquette's Lakeview
Arena for Huskie-NMU games:

I think part of the problem is the MTU band's, and part is the Lakeview
management or NMU, whichever controls seating arrangements.

Part of the reason, at least, that the Huskie band was banned for a long
time from Lakeview, and then again after two appearances recently, is
     (it is alleged) that the band members feel part of the preparation
for the game is to get fairly drunk before the game, which has a
definite effect on their behavior during the contest.  Another part is
that the Huskies do not observe the following code of conduct very well.

> In terms of other decorum types of things, every band I've ever
> witnessed stops play when the puck is dropped if not before.  Language
> is usually held to a higher code of conduct than normal fans (this
> item is breaking down in our band a bit and needs to be improved.)
> As was pointed out, the bands are there to have fun too, and they
> tend to watch their own fairly well.

Particularly during Tech power plays, the MTU band plays during the
action.  This can really get old!  (However, I have to admit I've heard
more bad language from NMU fans annoyed at the band than from the
Huskies themselves!)

As for Lakeview/NMU responsibilities, here's my observations.  First, I
have to admit I actually enjoy the Huskie band for a while when they
show up for a game here.  They play quite well, and their enthusiasm for
their team is actually kind of endearing.  HOWEVER, they are LOUD!!!
I've spoken with people who sit in the section just below the one in
which the band is seated, and they literally have to plug their ears
just to remain in the comfort zone during the game.  It really destroys
their enjoyment of the game.  The NMU band (the "Northern Sound
Machine") is seated in the gallery above the open end of the arena, i.e.
no seats exist below the band, so no one is directly blasted by them.
The Huskie band sits where other visiting fans do, in an upper section
directly above a large bloc of seats held by NMU fans.  IMHO, visiting
bands should be seated in the same gallery as the NMU band--there's
plenty of room up there, and they wouldn't be nearly as disruptive to
the fans.  (Right now the space where I'm suggesting the band sit is
general admission student seating; I'm sure the students would rather be
in the place the visiting band is now, anyway.)  I'd also bet that if
the bands were in this close-to-side-by-side (but perhaps separated by a
few neutral parties? ;-) ) arrangement, there'd be much more attention
to taking turns playing, etc.

One other item: Jeff Sauer and Rick Comley had some fun at Shawn Walsh's
expense at the Blue Line lunch today.  It's obvious both coaches are
tremendously impressed with the Maine program, and they seem to like
Walsh.  But a fan's question about their evaluation of the Maine team
led to their telling a couple of stories about Shawn.  Wayne, is it true
that Shawn called the Duke basketball coach to ask him how he stands up
to the pressure of the Final Four?  And, that a fan told Walsh at an
early-season Blue Line lunch that he wanted to invite him to play golf,
but it was only for 14 holes, "since you can't get through the Final
Four?"? ;-)

Off to tackle the Badgers!

 *  Steve Christopher, NMU  [log in to unmask]             * * * *    *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey National Champions  1990-91   *   GO   *   *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey Final Eight 1991-92           *        *
 *  WCHA League Champions 1990-91                        * 'CATS! *   *
 *  WCHA Playoff Champions 1988-89/1990-91/1991-92 . . .   * * * *    *