In article <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
says:

>What does the .Z postfix mean?  I got a couple of files
>from the PartyII directory on nic.funet.fi that sounded
>like they were supposed to list the winners of the
>diffirent contests, but they were classified as ASCII
>files by SID.
>   (etc, etc.....)

>-Cutter

The ".Z" refers to the scheme used to compress the file for
storage.  Most of the time if you ask for the file and leave
off the ".Z" at the end, the host will decompress it before
sending it to you.

    -----> Jon                                   Jon Carr
    -----> [log in to unmask]                  36 Forest Ave
    -----> [log in to unmask]               Orono, ME 04473
    How about those 26-0-2 Black Bears!!!  M-A-I-N-E GO BLUE!!!!