Maybe what college hockey needs is a little organization between bands.  The
Ivy League marching bands each send two members to a conference that is held
every other year.  At this conference, they discuss things like inappropriate
behavior.  Something happens somewhere every year that ticks somebody off.
This meeting has proven to be helpful in dealing with these situations and
promoting better relations between all the bands.

Perhaps this is something that the bands in the ECAC should think about.  If
not a formal conference, then maybe just increased communication between
band leaders.  I think if the bands of all the other schools pointed out to
Union why we think it is important for them to be at these games, perhaps they
would reconsider.  It would only work if the bands showed a united front,
though. Such effort shown by the students might even get their own athletic
departments to give them a little support in the matter.

Getting bands to talk to each other more would have side benefits, too.  One
of the reasons I looked forward to Clarkson games as a student was because I
always had a great time partying with the Clarkson band.  Since my sophomore
year, the rapport between the Clarkson and Cornell bands has deteriorated,
and no one at Cornell really knows why.  It would be nice to build it back
up again.

If there are any band members out there who would like to get a band network
going, please e-mail me.  I would be more than happy to start one.

Paulette Dwen
Cornell '89
Let's Go Red!