The ECAC standings tightened up considerably this weekend at both ends.  RPI's
defeat of league-leading Harvard (which suffered its first ECAC loss of the
season), combined with Yale's weekend sweep, meant that only four points
would separate the league's top three teams.  At the bottom of the heap, it
looks like Dartmouth, Colgate, Princeton, and Cornell will fight it out for
playoff seedings 8 through 10.  (I have my own pessimistic thoughts on which
of those teams will miss the playoffs, but more on that later)

Results and standings are below.  Cornell boxes and notes to follow in a
separate posting later today:

Friday, February 5, 1993:
     Brown 7, UNION 4
     Colgate 5, PRINCETON 4
     YALE 4, Cornell 3 (OT)
     CLARKSON 7, Dartmouth 5
     RPI 6, Harvard 3
     ST. LAWRENCE 6, Vermont 3

Saturday, February 6:
     RPI 5, Brown 2
     YALE 6, Colgate 3
     PRINCETON 4, Cornell 3 (OT)
     ST. LAWRENCE 5, Dartmouth 4
     CLARKSON 6, Vermont 1

ECAC standings as of 2/8/93:

                   League                       Overall
Team               W   L   T  Pts   GF   GA     W   L   T  Pts   GF   GA
Harvard           12   1   1   25   67   39    14   2   1   29   82   50
Yale              10   2   2   22   68   48    13   6   2   28   97   76
RPI               10   3   1   21   61   38    13   5   4   30   92   64
Clarkson           6   5   3   15   62   42    10   8   4   24   99   63
St. Lawrence       7   6   1   15   49   48    12   8   2   26   89   79
Vermont            7   7   0   14   49   47     9  11   2   20   72   78
Brown              6   6   2   14   59   56     7   9   2   16   76   84
Dartmouth          5   9   0   10   49   62     7  11   0   14   62   83
Colgate            5   9   0   10   50   69     7  12   3   17   90   99
Princeton          4   9   1    9   46   66     6  11   1   13   61   77
Cornell            4   9   1    9   41   53     5  12   1   11   55   73
Union              2  12   0    4   30   63     2  15   0    4   39   76

This is the time of the season where tiebreakers begin to get very important,
so here's a quick summary of how some of the teams above stand in relation to
each other:  Clarkson's season sweep over St. Lawrence gives the Golden
Knights the edge.  Vermont beat Brown 4-2 back on January 23, and the two
teams will play again on February 26.  Dartmouth beat Colgate 5-4 on January
8, and those two will play again on March 6.  Cornell and Princeton have
split their season series -- the second tiebreaker is record against the top
four, with the Tigers having the edge here thanks to victories over Yale and
Harvard (Cornell is winless against the top four).

By the way, Harvard will mathematically clinch a playoff spot with one more
point.

This week's ECAC games:

Monday, February 8:
     Beanpot Tournament:
          Championship:
          Harvard vs. Boston University

Friday, February 12:
     Clarkson at Cornell
     Princeton at Brown
     RPI at Dartmouth
     St. Lawrence at Colgate
     Union at Vermont
     Yale at Harvard

Saturday, February 13:
     Clarkson at Colgate
     Princeton at Harvard
     RPI at Vermont
     St. Lawrence at Cornell
     Union at Dartmouth
     Yale at Brown
--
Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and probably '94        |  [log in to unmask]