Saturday, 2/27/93:           Providence    3  -  Dartmouth     2
                             UNH           6  -  Northeastern  5  ot

The semi-finals, held at Matthews Arena, were two tense matches.  The
first game, between Providence and Dartmouth, neither team played as
well as they can.  The second contest, between UNH and Northeastern
was a classic.  First one team would dominate, then the other. I would
rank it as one of the top three ice hockey matches I have seen.

Game one:   Providence scored late in the first period when Lynn
Manning (Cammi Granato) tucked in a rebound from a sharp angle.  In the
second period, Dartmouth tied the game, when Rachel Rochat was given
a pass right in front of the Lady Friar net, on a defensive error.  PC
took the lead for good when Manning (Granato, Stephanie O'Sullivan)
pumped one home, off a goal mouth scramble.  Kathleen Brophy (Wendy
Cofran, Vicki Movessian) put the Friars up 3-1 on another scramble.
In the third period, the Big Green made it close when Getchen Ulion
(Sarah Devens, Laura Lutsk) scored a power play goal, off a rebound
from the back boards.

I thought the game was a poor effort by Providence.  They had few
rushes in the second and third periods.  In fact, they just did
not play well as a team, their usual strength.  Granato rang three
shots off the post, and perhaps if one had gone in ...  I was also
impressed with individual efforts by Cofran and the speedy Alana
Blahoski.  Dartmouth also just seemed too tense.  The line of Rochat,
Ulion and Devens played well.  Devens had several chances, and again
if any had gone in, this could have been a different match.

Game two:   Northeastern scored first, when Kim Haman (Shelly Looney,
Maureen Robinson) poked home a rebound off a nice break-in play.  UNH
tied the game when Wendy Tatarouns poked in a near identical play at
the other end.  The Huskies regained the lead, when Looney (Kim Drews,
Haman) scored a power play goal, off a terrific pass, by Drews, from
the right point, to the weak side.  The Wildcats tied it up when Liz
Neiley (Tatarouns, Sherri Covell) knocked in off a scramble.

In the second period, New Hampshire got its first lead when Tricia
Dunn (Suzanne Merz, Doris Catlin) connected on a slot shot.  North-
eastern tied the game again, when Jeanine Sobek (Robinson, Looney)
finished off an end to end rush, with a tap in.  The Huskies took
the lead when Looney (Haman, Laura Bennion) scored on a nice three-
way passing play, after a ton of pressure.  Score at the end of two:
3-4 Northeastern.

The third period started with a power play goal by UNH's Annie Camins
(Karyn Bye).  Camins taking a centering pass and shooting high.  The
Wildcats got the lead yet again, when Dunn (Dawn Thibodeau, Catlin)
roofed a shot, off a nice feed.  With less then two minutes to go,
Northeastern tied it up when Looney (Haman, Robinson) got her hat-
trick, after another spell of pressure.  The Huskies almost won the
game in the closing seconds, but New Hampshire's goalie Erin Whitten
made a brillant save.  In overtime, Bye (Tatarouns, Stephanie Knox)
won the game for UNH when she tucked in a shot from the slot.

This game had everything.  Northeastern's coach, Heather Linstad
deserves high marks, for getting her team to play so well and
positive, in this her first year.  The line of Rayanne Conway, Sobek
and Kelly Tapani play great.  So did the line of Robinson, Haman and
Looney.  I was particularly impressed with Jeanine Sobek.  She
was up and down the ice, making plays all afternoon.  For UNH,
I thought Colleen Coyne, on defense, played a superb game.  Karyn
Bye was their power forward who certainly led the team to victory.
As I said above, it was a great game.  Full credit to both teams.

Quarterfinal results
Thursday,  2/25/93:          Providence    9  -  Harvard       1
                             Dartmouth     8  -  Brown         5

Wednesday, 2/24/93:          UNH           6  -  St. Lawrence  1
                             Northeastern  5  -  Princeton     1

/
 good shooting
 rhun