>I just don't get it.  Clarkson, is ahead of Yale in all the polls and
>got the nod from several of the *seeders* for a seed in the tournament yet
>Yale is in second place in the ECAC.  Don't conference standings count for
>anything?  (I guess not seeing as Michigan has been ranked ahead of Miami
>all season yet Miami is leading that conference as well.)  This brings me
>to my main question:  Will preseason hype of Clarkson outweigh the conference
>standings and get them a bid (of course if they don't win the ECAC's outright)?

Don't forget that conference standings are not law. They count a lot
but not everything. OVERALL, Clarkson and Yale both have 30 pts with
Clarkson having played one more game. I don't think it's so much a great
faith in Clarkson that everyone has but rather a great skepticism of
Yale. I still don't think they are truly a top 10 nationally team.
Apparently, many agree with me. Their offense is good but their defense
and goaltending have not shown much.

I think the goal differential might have a lot to do with it as well.
Clarkson is +31 in the ECAC and +47 overall while Yale is only +13 ECAC
and +14 overall. I think that may have a lot to do with it. Clarkson's
GAA is (accd to CHODR) like in the top 5 in the country and offense is
top ten (I think). Yale's results have not been enough better to outweigh
stuff like that.

Finally, conference records mean a lot (because they acct for most
of the games) but non-conference games mean something as well. Clarkson's
tie with Maine in Maine certainly helped their cause.

I think the same analogy could be made with Michigan and Miami.  Michigan
actually has a better overall record and a better goal differential
(+86 in CCHA to +52). Similarly, people don't think Miami is the real
thing yet. They are going to have to prove it in the postseason before
people start believing. Same thing with Yale.