Regarding the Feb. 17 article in The Chronicle about whether the Colgate
women's ice hockey team should be elevated to a varsity sport, it seems to me
that sometimes equity is taken too far.  Colgate has announced the abolition
of men's baseball to free up money for women's sports.  This is crazy!  As it
states in the article, under no pressure Colgate added women's soccer, cross
country, and track in previous years.  Just because Colgate questioned whether
women's ice hockey was the right way to use limited funds does not necessarily
imply discrimination.  I am an athlete myself and am all for equality for
women, but let's not forget that Title IX refers to men's and women's sports
programs as a whole, not team by team.  Also, to even suggest as the lawyers
for the Colgate women have that they are not treated equally because only
32% of Colgate athletes are women while they account for 47% of the student
body is ridiculous.  This says that 68% of the women at Colgate participate
in athletics which I would guess is not that unusual a percentage for women
at any college.  See The Chronicle of Higher Education for more details; it
can be found probably in any major academic department.

                                Karen
                                        Miami University
                                        Go Redskins!!!