Saturday, 16 January 1993, Yost Ice Arena

Bowling Green      0  0  0 -- 0         3  9  7 -- 19
Michigan           0  2  2 -- 4        12  9 14 -- 35

27:01 UM Oliver 21 (Stewart,Ward) PPG
39:55 UM Ouimet 6 (Stiver,Roberts)
56:04 UM Stone 7 (unassisted) SHG
59:50 UM Hilton 7 (Stewart,Ward)

Stars: 1-UM Shields  2-UM Harlock  3-UM Ward

In what was the worst officiated game I've seen this season, Michigan
got past BGSU, 4-0.  Michigan goaltender Steve Shields played probably
his best game of 1992-93 to date, and the Michigan defense held the
potent Falcons to 19 shots on goal.

Back to the refs, Graf and Garofalo were horrid.  Twice in the first
period, BG netminder Aaron Ellis made the initial save and left the
rebound right out in front, but the whistle blew before anyone could
get to it.  If my two eyes can see the puck plain as day from the
stands, one would think the refs four eyes could see it from a distance
of six to twelve feet.  Also, I've never seen so much clutching and
grabbing let go.  BG must offer an advanced course in holding.  To be
fair, *some* of the calls went for Michigan.  In the 2nd period, on a
delayed penalty with BG buzzing around the Michigan zone, Shields sent
the net for a spin.  It should have been a delay of game and 2:00 of
5-on-3 for BG, but it wasn't called.  Also in the 2nd, at the opposite
end of the ice from me, UM freshman Kevin Hilton drew a 5 minute major
on BG's Lune for checking from behind.  (Lune must be an admirer of
Michigan State's Bryan Smolinski. :-)  I heard from friends with a
better view that it didn't warrant a major.  David Oliver capitalized
midway through the 5 minutes for what proved to be the GWG.  Btw, Hilton
took the second shift on the PP (always an insult after drawing a major).

In the 3rd period, UM junior Mike Stone took everyone back to last April's
Michigan-Wisconsin game in Albany.  Shorthanded, Stone raced up the ice
after the puck only to lose to the goaltender, in this case Ellis, who
strayed far from the crease to get it.  Ellis attempted a clearing pass
which Stone batted from the air, gained control off, then tucked into
the empty net (from a somewhat difficult angle).  Stone did the same thing
to Wisconsin's Duane Derksen last season.

Hilton added the icing to the cake, scoring with :10 remaining for the
four goal margin.

As always, it was a pleasure to chat with Keith Instone before the game.
It was also nice to see over 7600 people in Yost Arena.  Michigan was up
for the game, wearing their new yellow jerseys for the first time ever
at home.  (Previously, they had only donned them for the 1992 GLI
championship game.)

The victory was number 69 for Shields, midway through his junior season.
He could become the first Division I goaltender to register 100 wins.

John H
U Mich