January 16, 1993
Hockey East League game
at Kelly Rink, Conte Forum

BU (13-4-2)     1  -  3  -  1   --   5
BC (6-10-4)     0  -  1  -  0   --   1

Scoring:

First Period: BU, Friedman (Pandolfo, Brennan) 19:11.

Second Period: BU, Steve Thornton (Foster, Mark Bavis) 3:36; BU, Pomichter
               (Rausch, Pratt) 7:36; BU, Rausch (unassisted) 15:42;
               BC, Callahan (Beran) 18:16.

Third Period: BU, Thornton (unassisted) 17:30.

Saves: BU, Herlofsky 26; BC, Singewald 13, Sparrow 7.

Referees: R. Fowkes, Taylor.
Linesman: J. Jones
Att: 5,124.

stomping of BC last night in Chestnut Hill. BC held the Terriers in check
throughout the opening period until sophomore goalie Josh Singewald was
buried underneath a pile-up in front of the Eagles' net. Singewald attempted
to resume play but after about a minute of play the pain was too much to
handle. Backup netminder Mike Sparrow replaced Singewald with 2:44 left to
play in the period, and from that point after, BC's confidence appeared
shaken. Just over a minute later, at 19:44, Doug Friedman took a pass
in the slot from Jay Pandolfo and railed a shot hit Sparrow's blocker and
bounced behind into the net. It was the start of a long, frustrating evening
for BC.
For the record, BC coach Steve Cedorchuk was quoted in today's Globe as
saying: "All of the sudden he's (Singewald) out of the game. I don't care
what you say, that would affect any team. Our team took the rest of the game
to come around to that fact. I don't think we ever got over that. It was like,
'Oh no...'"
BC opened the second period with the type of play that came to haunt them the
rest of the night: sloppy and careless passing and stickhandling. Many times
BC would start to break the puck out of their zone, maybe get it up to the red
line, and then a careless drop pass or something would result in a sudden
BU 2-on-1 or 3-on-2 as BC defenseman scrambled to play catch-up after having
their play broken up. At 3:36 defenseman Steve Foster unloaded a shot from
the point that Sparrow knocked down in front, but a streaking Steve Thornton
poked the rebound right around Sparrow's outstreched right pad to make it
2-0 (this came on a 2-man advantage for BU while Ian Moran and John Joyce
(I think) were in  the box for BC). Just 4 minutes later, at 7:36, BC's
trouble in clearing the zone Mike Pomichter taking a nice pass from Ken
Rausch at the left point and beating Sparrow with a wrist shot to the upper-
right hand corner, giving BU a 3 goal lead. At 15:42 of the second the
freshman Rausch got one for himself with low, 15-foot wrist shot that squeezed
through Sparrow's pads.
BC finally got on the board at 18:16 of the second on a power-play when
Jack Callahan's shot from just inside the blue line sailed over Derek
Herlofsky's right leg to make it 4-1 and close the period.
BC came out hitting in the third period and was able to muster some offense,
dominating the period until some "extracurriculars," as Mike Machnik would
call them, sent 6 BU players and I think 5 BC players to the box at 12:06,
including Kevin O'Sullivan of BU, who would take a misconduct. Derek
Herlofsky came up big several times in the third, stopping many point-blank
shots as BU couldn't stay out of the box the whole period. The only scoring
though was Thronton's second of the game for BU at 17:30, on a shot that
beat Sparrow high to his glove side.
BC looked for most of the first period like they would keep this one closer
than last month's 7-2 rout they suffered at Walter Brown Arena. But the
injury to Singewald let all the air out of the Eagles' balloon and BC sorely
missed what may have been as good a performance as Singewald had on Tuesday
against Yale. As I said before, BC showed problems (surprisingly) with
even basic passing and stickhandling skills. It was as if some magical force
field kept pucks bouncing off BC sticks. I will credit BU's defense with
some good, strong play, especially without the contributions of newcomer
Chris O'Sullivan, who is out the remainder of the season with a broken
vertebrae in his neck. O'Sullivan had played last semester with Catholic
Memorial High School, but enrolled at BU and became eligible to play this
semester. He already had a goal in 3 games played an would have added some
needed depth to BU's defense. However, Dan Donato and the freshman Doug
Wood helped stabilize a decent blue-line corps, anchored by Rich Brennan
and Kaj Linna, as well as Steve Foster. But BC will be lucky to score
more than 1 or 2 goals a game with the kind of puckhandling they showed last
night, mo matter what defense they're up against.

Etc, Etc. : Also on the growing list of injured Terriers is Mike Prendergast,
who sprained some right knee ligaments last Saturday against Providence.
He is expected to miss 2-3 weeks.

Among the 5,124 on hand last night for BU's first win at Kelley Rink since
1989 was current Bruins and former BC star Steve Heinze. Now if only
Cedorchuk could get him to suit up :)

The two teams meet again tonight, at BU's Walter Brown Arena. Scott Cashman
will start in net for the Terriers.

--Sid
BU '94    Got your Beanpot tickets yet???